Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DRM Updates Land For Linux 4.15; Torvalds: "There's Something Odd About DRM People"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linus is becoming (if he is not already became) like Chuck Norris, he has never failed... XD

Comment

Header files causing issues? Another reason to write an OS in Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        It's almost like you have no idea what Linus was complaining about. The header file wasn't "causing issues," it was sitting unused in the source tree. If nothing's going to #include it, it shouldn't get checked in.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Linus is just whining to for the sake of whining. It absolutely makes sense to use machine generated register headers. They eliminate human error and enable more people to get involved. If there is a feature someone wants to implement, all of the register information is there and correct. It also makes debugging a lot easier since you have ready access to all of the additional registers you might need to look at or ask someone to dump. Adding it manually on a per feature basis is error prone and makes it harder for someone working with the code to see the full picture and capabilities.
          The problem is not that the header file is automatically generated. The problem is that it is unused. He said that he is not happy about adding a file that does not seem to be included from anywhere or used by anything, and suspects it might be a mistake caused by some header autogeneration tool.

Comment

If you want to see an OS written in Rust succeed, maybe you should go write some Rust code and contribute patches to the awesome Redox OS project? I also think I remember that Linus Torvalds once mentioned that he likes Rust a lot more than C++ and might consider allowing it in the Linux kernel in the future, when Rust is more mature.

The Rust evangelism in these forums is strong and counter-productive. There is no need for these rewrite-it-in-Rust comments in every thread.

Don't get me wrong, Rust is an awesome language. I am a Rust developer myself. However, these forum posts are just unnecessary and are doing the Rust community more harm than good.

Comment

I've understood cl333r as a troll post and laugh about it. I see it got some people

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                It's not the first time David has pissed off Linus by pushing things that have caused him unnecessary headaches, but this soon after the tinyDRM debacle I wouldn't be surprised if Linus' patience is starting to wear thin with David and the other senior DRM maintainers.
                I think you're over-dramatizing. This is barely a 3.0 on the Linus Richter scale. He's not going to go off about such a minor issue, especially when the dev in question quickly fixed the issue and apologized: https://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg157463.html

The tinydrm thing notwithstanding, it seems that DRM maintainers have been doing a better job of respecting merge window, meeting deadlines, and not sending in code inappropriately complex for a linux-rc version.
                Last edited by DanL; 17 November 2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post

If you want to see an OS written in Rust succeed, maybe you should go write some Rust code and contribute patches to the awesome Redox OS project? I also think I remember that Linus Torvalds once mentioned that he likes Rust a lot more than C++ and might consider allowing it in the Linux kernel in the future, when Rust is more mature.

The Rust evangelism in these forums is strong and counter-productive. There is no need for these rewrite-it-in-Rust comments in every thread.

Don't get me wrong, Rust is an awesome language. I am a Rust developer myself. However, these forum posts are just unnecessary and are doing the Rust community more harm than good.
                  But Rust is already mature, Servo is just one example. Since you're a Rust dev you could tweak Servo and integrate it into Linux to make it as fast as Servo, no?

Comment

Did my coffee got cold? Another Reason to write an OS in Rust.
                    Damn C. Why people don't use a language that will magically turn them into good programmers? Like, it's 2017 guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                      I have this sinking feeling that Linus is going to explode when he pulls in the AMDGPU DC code...and then undo the pull.
                      take your meds

Comment

Working...
                      X