No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.19 Proposed For Release Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What will be new in X.Org Server 1.19? What are the changes?

GNOME and Wayland works pretty good, however Firefox, Chromium, GIMP, Atom and Spotify isnt native for Wayland yet, so I have to run those through XWayland. Also, it is not possible to run GNOME on Wayland without XWayland yet, since XWayland is a required dependency.

So the applications that I use the most requires XWayland, which kind of negates some of the reason for running Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

GNOME and Wayland works pretty good, however Firefox, Chromium, GIMP, Atom and Spotify isnt native for Wayland yet, so I have to run those through XWayland. Also, it is not possible to run GNOME on Wayland without XWayland yet, since XWayland is a required dependency.

So the applications that I use the most requires XWayland, which kind of negates some of the reason for running Wayland.

Prime sync for example, for ppl who use the official nvidia drivers in laptops it will resolve the tearing problems and after many years become a good alternative to bumblebee

Comment

Take a time and read next about 600+ commits

Comment

I am glad xorg is being improved even though I do forsee a eventual shift to wayland. I am a little skeptical about the gaming scene though and how Steam will switch, if or when.

I just got a AMD RX 480 3 days ago and have been crash testing as many games as I can using the AMDGPU driver. Wine works better than on the nVidia driver, I get like 300 FPS on CS:GO, some games have excellent FPS and others have barely tolerable 50-70 FPS. Borderlands 2 doesn't do so well, but Bioshock Infinite runs okay at 1080p_120hz

It's so nice to finally have Wayland be a option alongside xorg now that I'm on AMD, I did love my GTX 970 but I think RX 480 will be a nice stop for at least a year due to my open driver linux needs.

(Maybe I can make some test youtube videos of games - I really am happy there has been a lot of work this last 2 years on mesa)

Comment

I'm glad xorg is being improved even though I do forsee a eventual shift to wayland. I am a little skeptical about the gaming scene though and how Steam will switch, if or when.

I just got a AMD RX 480 3 days ago and have been crash testing as many games as I can using the AMDGPU driver. Wine works better than on the nVidia driver, I get like 300 FPS on CS:GO, some games have excellent FPS and others have barely tolerable 50-70 FPS. Borderlands 2 doesn't do so well, but Bioshock Infinite runs okay at 1080p_120hz

It's so nice to finally have Wayland be a option alongside xorg now that I'm on AMD, I did love my GTX 970 but I think RX 480 will be a nice stop for at least a year due to my open driver linux needs.

(Maybe I can make some test youtube videos of games - I really am happy there has been a lot of work this last 2 years on mesa)

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
              Why do they insist developing this?
              Wayland just aint ready yet to be default, Gnome-shell Crasges + its app;.s , this may seem silly to say but IMO X11 is more stable than Wayland is atm

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

Wayland just aint ready yet to be default, Gnome-shell Crashes + its app;.s , this may seem silly to say but IMO X11 is more stable than Wayland is atm
                wonder if 1.19 will get into F25 ,

Comment

Gnome & Wayland dont work well at all, not from my experience anyway. to Crashy

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
                    Why do they insist developing this?
                    it's so embarrassing using linux as a desktop because of X. I hope it will die soon. Usually I use Ubuntu-Unity on a GTX970 and is a pain every time I use it, But every desktops environment run very bad because of X.
                    I'm trying right know to switch to Gnome Shell on wayland (with the igpu not the gtx970) with some extensions to make it operate like Unity (Pixel Saver, dash-to-dock, activities-configurator and some indicators) and I feel very satisfied, I miss only the embedded menu on the windows title (I don't like how Gnome3 manage app's menu).
                    Someone have some suggestion about a good graphic card with a best opensource driver able to handle wayland without lag and stutter?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

Gnome & Wayland dont work well at all, not from my experience anyway. to Crashy
                      I haven't ran it from as my day-tol-day setup. I've just briefly tested for a few minutes.
                      It seems to work pretty fine. All GNOME applications work.
                      Problems I've noticed in Ubuntu 16.10 beta is that GNOME Terminal has a ugly shadow, and Evince has ugly window decorators.

Comment

Working...
                      X