There Is Talk Of Resuming OpenChrome VIA KMS/DRM Driver Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    No. I disapprove the continued existence of current generations of Via x86 PC hardware, so I'm also disapproving anyone that does develop driver for them.
    Luckily, this is not yours to decide.

There is still VIA HW out there, normal users, embedded stuff, a generation of OLPC and so on. So even though VIA never had put much effort into Linux driver development, their HW was nice at its time (maybe some are too young to remember the old crazy MHz race AMD and intel were giving each other, without any consideration of thermal properties and power consumption, VIA had a nice solution for people who needed cool and low pwer machines). So these things are still around and it would be neat for the users if they could still bring them to shine.

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

No. I disapprove the continued existence of current generations of Via x86 PC hardware, so I'm also disapproving anyone that does develop driver for them.

Of course I cannot do more than just disapprove loudly, but that's a right you cannot take away from me (wraps the coat and goes away walking straight while fanfare sounds).

That guy also posted some nonsense about hardware consumerism or whatever to justify the continued existence of complete shit hardware that should have died together with floppies.
      Listen, I'm not saying I approve of VIA hardware, or for that matter have any real care what happens to the support of such hardware, but if one guy wants to develop it, as long as he is not getting in the way of the rest of the kernel development, then who cares?

Honestly you come off as a bit elitist, but I'd like to think I would give someone the benefit of the doubt here.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        There is still VIA HW out there, normal users, embedded stuff, a generation of OLPC and so on. So even though VIA never had put much effort into Linux driver development, their HW was nice at its time (maybe some are too young to remember the old crazy MHz race AMD and intel were giving each other, without any consideration of thermal properties and power consumption, VIA had a nice solution for people who needed cool and low pwer machines). So these things are still around and it would be neat for the users if they could still bring them to shine.
        I am old enough to remember seriously considering buying the EPIA boards, which were ahead of time in terms of power/space consumption and practically driving the mini-itx standard forward. Thankfully I resisted exactly due to the abysmal Linux support and ended up (later) buying an Atom 330 board instead - still chugging along.
        However today these boards are probably inferior to a Raspberry Pi, so it is only of archaeological interest to add some support now...

Comment

Luckily, this is not yours to decide.
          I never said I don't want him to waste his time on whatever. I just state my own opinion.
          That guy is an adult, he does not need everyone's encouragement to grow into a man, and being honest on what someone thinks is usually a better reality check for everyone.

There is still VIA HW out there,
          All their stuff around can be single-handedly beaten by a long list of stuff costing less than 40$ (used or new), and I'm talking of Windows XP performance (i.e. the OS where their shitty drivers still work at all).

their HW was nice at its time
          On XP or on headless systems.

VIA had a nice solution for people who needed cool and low pwer machines
          Again in a long distant past. From a more recent past (= not even remotely new stuff) there are systems that consume less power and are more powerful and more supported already.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
            Listen, I'm not saying I approve of VIA hardware, or for that matter have any real care what happens to the support of such hardware, but if one guy wants to develop it, as long as he is not getting in the way of the rest of the kernel development, then who cares?
            Really, why should I not state what I genuinely think of his project?

He is an adult, he should be able to handle a "No. What you are doing is stupid" (with some backing arguments) without crying.

Being honest and not giving canned answers like "yeah, if you like it it's all that matters" serves as a reality check, which is very useful for an adult (actually also for younger human beings, although the actual way you tell him differs).

Comment

Really, why should I not state what I genuinely think of his project?

He is an adult, he should be able to handle a "No. What you are doing is stupid" (with some backing arguments) without crying.

Being honest and not giving canned answers like "yeah, if you like it it's all that matters" serves as a reality check, which is very useful for an adult (actually also for younger human beings, although the actual way you tell him differs).
              Honestly, I just feel like you're talking too much stake in something that's only involving one eccentric developer, regardless of whether or not the development is worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                Honestly, I just feel like you're talking too much stake in something that's only involving one eccentric developer, regardless of whether or not the development is worth the effort.
                Honestly, I just feel like you are talking too much stake in something that is only stating one's fucking opinion in a free world. Are you his mother or something?

Comment

There is no "they". This guy is a volunteer, not a Via employee. Via quit linux development long ago.

This complaint has to be directed to board manufacturers, not to Via. BIOS is made by board manufacturers, not Via.

And as I said in another thread, it makes no sense for them to waste money on trying to fix weird hardware issues when for a few $$ everyone still affected could simply buy another board.
                  Ok n this case however I suggest this voulonteer to persist in his activity operating also on the 64bit side.

Comment

Honestly, I just feel like you are talking too much stake in something that is only stating one's fucking opinion in a free world. Are you his mother or something?
                    Haha his mother, that's hilarious.

Comment

[...]VIA had a nice solution for people who needed cool and low pwer machines). So these things are still around and it would be neat for the users if they could still bring them to shine.
                      Really? A company I know used to use AMD Geode chips. Those were nicer than VIA.

Comment

Working...
                      X