Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBDEV Is Still (Barely) Alive Within The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: FBDEV Is Still (Barely) Alive Within The Linux Kernel

Back in 2012 there was a call for deprecating FBDEV within the Linux kernel considering that DRM and V4L2 drivers are much better options. Sadly there hasn't been any formal deprecation of FBDEV in the mainline kernel yet, but its still receiving a few changes each kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Etnvaviv MESA driver uses fbdev. The development ceased since late 2014 and i want Xorg/wayland on my wandboard quad somewhat useable.
    I am sure there are more drivers out there which use the fbdev as temporary solution.
    It's much better than nothing.

Comment

are the alternatives as simple as this ?

Comment

What happens to the (U)EFI framebuffer device if fbdev gets deprecated (and removed)? Afaik it is need to see early boot messages on UEFI devices.

Comment

offb

Originally posted by jhenke View Post
          What happens to the (U)EFI framebuffer device if fbdev gets deprecated (and removed)? Afaik it is need to see early boot messages on UEFI devices.
          Likewise for the OpenFirmware framebuffer (offb) on powerpc and other OF platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            Etnvaviv MESA driver uses fbdev. The development ceased since late 2014 and i want Xorg/wayland on my wandboard quad somewhat useable.
            I am sure there are more drivers out there which use the fbdev as temporary solution.
            It's much better than nothing.
            There is at least one person trying to make it work more generally using DRM but progress has been painfully slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              There is at least one person trying to make it work more generally using DRM but progress has been painfully slow.
              I hope there is a DRI guy as well . . . i would do it but i lack time and more than that: know-how.

Comment

Working...
              X