X.Org Apps Now Running On Ubuntu Touch/Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    I was kinda hoping to see older applications based on Xorg NOT allowed to run on the phones. The phone apps should locked to only apps written using the Ubuntu make software suite, while the Desktop can be free to run what ever the user desires. I don't want a phone app store full of legacy software that isn't written to be "aware" that it's running on a phone. Pymol would be a disaster on a phone, for example. How would you middle click and drag?
    You wont see older applications on the phone, this seems to be a demo only as in "we can do it", they dont have any intention of using X applications on the phone, but this is still nice for those that want to play with it, the point of Unity 8, Mir and click packages is the ability to sandbox applications, security, development with Ubuntu SDK etc, X applications were never mentioned, this only seems to be demonstration of what Ubuntu Touch can do if the user wants it to.
    Last edited by Cerberus; 12 January 2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
      You wont see older applications on the phone, this seems to be a demo only as in "we can do it", they dont have any intention of using X applications on the phone, but this is still nice for those that want to play with it, the point of Unity 8, Mir and click packages is the ability to sandbox applications, security, development with Ubuntu SDK etc, X applications were never mentioned, this only seems to be demonstration of what Ubuntu Touch can do if the user wants it to.
      Oh, I see. Cool, glad to know that my phone app store/center/whatever won't be polluted with non-phone aware apps.

Comment

Now 128 gigs of sd-like storage for my phone, ubuntu and make it launch steam and play Dota 2 and I'll even pay fucking 2000 dollars for it. But first, Linux shit should get its shit together and at least not drain battery like crazy and make at least one bug free piece of software.

Anyways I'm really excited for this. I hope it gets MUCH further, Windows monopoly should be destroyed asap since it breaks the whole computing market.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          Oh, I see. Cool, glad to know that my phone app store/center/whatever won't be polluted with non-phone aware apps.
          The number of linux legacy applications compared to the number of piss poor applications in the average phone store suggests that non-phone aware apps would not really pollute anything more than it already is

Comment

Originally posted by plantroon View Post
            But first, Linux shit should get its shit together and at least not drain battery like crazy and make at least one bug free piece of software.
            On my laptop I get 2h longer battery life in Ubuntu rather than Windows with the same backlight, Wifi, Webstorm (however OracleJDK on WIndows, OpenJDK on Ubuntu) and Firefox.
            On my test phone I have roughly the same battery life with Ubuntu Touch as with Android.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
              On my laptop I get 2h longer battery life in Ubuntu rather than Windows with the same backlight, Wifi, Webstorm (however OracleJDK on WIndows, OpenJDK on Ubuntu) and Firefox.
              On my test phone I have roughly the same battery life with Ubuntu Touch as with Android.
              Battery life on Linux is essentially tied to what your graphics chipset is. Certain AMD chipsets are complete train wreck. Some you can essentially use your laptop to heat a small room. I'm sure it's just power management issues.

For intel, I find it's the same or better usually. I have essentially no experience with nVidia on a laptop, so I don't know.

Android IS linux, so I'm not sure I'd expect there to be vast differences in battery life. At least not tied to the kernel anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                The number of linux legacy applications compared to the number of piss poor applications in the average phone store suggests that non-phone aware apps would not really pollute anything more than it already is
                A lot of these legacy applications actually have a great UTILITY. Like, as pictured, LibreOffice. The ability to run that in a relatively sane manner on a tablet (not the bloody insane chinese crackhead implementation like andropenoffice) would be absolutely brilliant for bridging the gap between tablets and laptops. Right now, tablets are massively superior for portability, but limited in what you can actually do with them. You still need to bring a laptop with you for real work. Yes, there is dual booting, if your tablet is right for it (like Nexus 9 is...), but then you have to shut down all the tablet software rather than being able to seamlessly switch between things.

I'd like to see something similar to xmir, but not stuck to ubuntu. Call it xsurfaceflinger and sit it on top of a tablet operating system that is actually *useful* (android).

Comment

Working...
                X