Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The VIA OpenChrome DRM Still Might Be Kicking In 2015

Phoronix: The VIA OpenChrome DRM Still Might Be Kicking In 2015

There hasn't been much to report on in months for the OpenChrome DRM driver as there simply hasn't been any new public patches to comment on. While it sort of looked like this VIA DRM Linux driver was dead, it seems work is possibly getting resurrected on this open-source driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yes, the dev has not abandonned openchrome
    just standby

question that I'm asking myself , the matrox driver (mga) is functional ?

Comment

trick me once shame on you trick me twice shame on me.

Via is for there driver maintenance (even on Windows) dead for me. Never again and never forget.
      Last edited by Nille; 04 January 2015, 08:20 AM.

Comment

[Old man telling war stories]
        It could have been so beautiful. Having a niche in the market, back at the time. AMD / intel going a power-wasting MHz race (yes, it was MHz at the time) and VIA coming up with a slow processor. Slow, but low energy consumption, low heat emission, low noise/passive cooling. Slow but packed with ASICs to assist things like crypto and video accel. All packed in these MiniITX things so they would make perfect HTPCs at the time. Sadly the GPU part never really got off the ground...
        [/Old man telling war stories]

I still have few VIA machines around so in case something happens I'll be glad. But for all planned things ... I have an AMD Kabini here which even though it is a new design works already far better than any VIA chip. The niche is now a home to AMD's APUs. Intel's Atom and Celerons. And some stronger non-x86, too. Kabini offers better performance at the same power consumption and the GPUs actually work.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Saw that glamor is going to be used. I am not that much into all this stuff but I thought glamor is the driver independent interface that tranlates 2D accel stuff to be used on OpenGL and passes it to whatever OpenGL driver is available. But that would require VIA chips to have such driver. But there is no 3D driver at all for VIA's chips, right?

Or did I get something wrong here?
          (Please, don't tell me it is done via sw rasterizer, we do have halfway working 2D functions for VIA, which are still faster than using "3d" via software rendering.)
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
          X