X@FOSDEM 2015: Call For Presentations About Mir, Wayland, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    ubuntu dead? no lts? what are you talking about ubuntu 14.04 is a lts version, "and without mint ubuntu desktop market is a joke?" what? why ppl come with lies and more lies against ubuntu? all ppl in my collegue use ubuntu, the default one, only see a girl using mint once, ubuntu only need 1% in mobile. ubuntu desktop is not dead is better than ever and cinnamon don t depends of gnome since 2.0
    On my university 99% used Windows, and the ones who did not most of the time used opensuse. Its not representive, I mean distrowatch is maybe not representive but more then your 10 pcs from your collegues.

As example Apple PCs are pretty popular in USA in europe much less, so watching what your 10 collegues use does not matter.

I did not write anything about NO LTS, I just say that they release 14.10 which is a 1:1 copy of 14.04 except 14.10 is no lts so its a basicly completly useless release.

To Cinemon, I maybe should have looked more into it, but I said taht even if you count mint to the ubuntu party it would be less than 50% desktop share.
    But that said, I looked it up cinnemon and wayland is in distries like archlinux, but unity and more important mir not. So if cinnamon and mint support mir instead of wayland, they would lower their userbase massive, so I doubt that they will do that.

And to the phones, yes yes... belive in your ubuntu-telephone, I use instead a desktop pc to do my task. The only reason to not use Android with mobile stuff is that its locked in and it survalences you, ubuntu phone is also locked down drivers are proprietary and even software from vendors will be proprietary, so you get nothing accept that you only get only 1/1000 of the apps you would get if you buy a adroid phone.

But dont be so pissed about it, if I really only tell bullshit Canonical will show us all, how successful and dominant they are. No "lies" can hinder them from failure or *rofl* success.

Comment

hahaha

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      On my university 99% used Windows, and the ones who did not most of the time used opensuse. Its not representive, I mean distrowatch is maybe not representive but more then your 10 pcs from your collegues.

As example Apple PCs are pretty popular in USA in europe much less, so watching what your 10 collegues use does not matter.

I did not write anything about NO LTS, I just say that they release 14.10 which is a 1:1 copy of 14.04 except 14.10 is no lts so its a basicly completly useless release.

To Cinemon, I maybe should have looked more into it, but I said taht even if you count mint to the ubuntu party it would be less than 50% desktop share.
      But that said, I looked it up cinnemon and wayland is in distries like archlinux, but unity and more important mir not. So if cinnamon and mint support mir instead of wayland, they would lower their userbase massive, so I doubt that they will do that.

And to the phones, yes yes... belive in your ubuntu-telephone, I use instead a desktop pc to do my task. The only reason to not use Android with mobile stuff is that its locked in and it survalences you, ubuntu phone is also locked down drivers are proprietary and even software from vendors will be proprietary, so you get nothing accept that you only get only 1/1000 of the apps you would get if you buy a adroid phone.

But dont be so pissed about it, if I really only tell bullshit Canonical will show us all, how successful and dominant they are. No "lies" can hinder them from failure or *rofl* success.
      you realy believe in that? why so hate? i think ppl is affraid with mir sucess. unity is the best de out there (my opinion ofc) cinnamon don t work well in arch, my experience ubuntu 14.10 had some new features almost none is true, and what? what the problem? lhe works, is stable and have a new graphics stack mint don t have so much users like you say, but ok your opinion in the end will se who wins and who looses, if ubuntu die i choose another distro i'm not worry, official numbers ubuntu 20 millions users mint 1, fedora 1 arch maybe half

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        you realy believe in that? why so hate? i think ppl is affraid with mir sucess. unity is the best de out there (my opinion ofc) cinnamon don t work well in arch, my experience ubuntu 14.10 had some new features almost none is true, and what? what the problem? lhe works, is stable and have a new graphics stack mint don t have so much users like you say, but ok your opinion in the end will se who wins and who looses, if ubuntu die i choose another distro i'm not worry, official numbers ubuntu 20 millions users mint 1, fedora 1 arch maybe half
        official numbers from whom? rofl there are no official numbers. From canonical or where did u pull this official numbers rofl. unbelivable. Even Centos and debian has soon more users than ubuntu. lets see it differently, who has most success in money making to a factor of 100 I think its redhat... Redhat is even able to sell a old version of fedora with the label redhat and some support for money, is canonical able to do that? no!

Sorry dont want to say new stuff, but your 20millions vs 1 million or whatever is just retarded. Canonical seems to hide their download count. The only other thing canonical WANTS taht u messure it, is wikimedia numbers. Why do they hide the download numbers of course NOTHING gives exact numbers, but u could compare the numbers, because if people really WANT a distro they maybe download it, if they just happen to boot 1 time the cd in their random computer magazine, does not really mean that they are linux users.

I like distrowatch because it looks into the future, because if you want to cahnge you look the distro up before u maybe at some day switch. or lets say u get a new pc then u switch not everybody formats their pc and starts over just because they dont like their distro anymore.

But ok u can say thats stupid so look at thhe download numbers hei wait ubuntu has to low download numbers so they have to hide it.

Ohh sorry the fedora numbers are different IP adresses they got. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics

And to be clear I dont belive that fedora has more users than ubuntu, I just say fedora + arch + opensuse + debian has more desktop users than ubuntu. And the recent debian. And dont say that ubuntu has more desktop users, ubuntu is primary strong for servers, not for desktop. And its another thing, its not all about quantity but also about quality. 5million noobs testing linux for 1 month with ubuntu and then never boot it up again are less important than 500.000 users that are commited and even develop stuff for linux.

And a release like this... with NO features does not help ubuntu in that war.

That Canonical does not have a clear statistic site tells u something, but lets say you are right, who the hell cares about users that dont develop software and dont pay money for everything, if company like intel and valve and others run away from them, not supporting them... at some point the users run away to, because they will have not a good experience. We will see maybe 10.4 + 5 years so that would be 15.4 if that lts users switch if time runs out. If canonical dont have till then something better then their unity 7.3 bugfix release 520 and mir with some taped down own bugfix backported intel drivers and co, its over.

At the moment even people who dont have any problems with lisenses cant be happy with ubuntu, since 2 years or so 0 progress on the desktop site.

Comment

lol

official numbers from whom? rofl there are no official numbers. From canonical or where did u pull this official numbers rofl. unbelivable. Even Centos and debian has soon more users than ubuntu. lets see it differently, who has most success in money making to a factor of 100 I think its redhat... Redhat is even able to sell a old version of fedora with the label redhat and some support for money, is canonical able to do that? no!

Sorry dont want to say new stuff, but your 20millions vs 1 million or whatever is just retarded. Canonical seems to hide their download count. The only other thing canonical WANTS taht u messure it, is wikimedia numbers. Why do they hide the download numbers of course NOTHING gives exact numbers, but u could compare the numbers, because if people really WANT a distro they maybe download it, if they just happen to boot 1 time the cd in their random computer magazine, does not really mean that they are linux users.

I like distrowatch because it looks into the future, because if you want to cahnge you look the distro up before u maybe at some day switch. or lets say u get a new pc then u switch not everybody formats their pc and starts over just because they dont like their distro anymore.

But ok u can say thats stupid so look at thhe download numbers hei wait ubuntu has to low download numbers so they have to hide it.

Ohh sorry the fedora numbers are different IP adresses they got. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics

And to be clear I dont belive that fedora has more users than ubuntu, I just say fedora + arch + opensuse + debian has more desktop users than ubuntu. And the recent debian. And dont say that ubuntu has more desktop users, ubuntu is primary strong for servers, not for desktop. And its another thing, its not all about quantity but also about quality. 5million noobs testing linux for 1 month with ubuntu and then never boot it up again are less important than 500.000 users that are commited and even develop stuff for linux.

That Canonical does not have a clear statistic site tells u something, but lets say you are right, who the hell cares about users that dont develop software and dont pay money for everything, if company like intel and valve and others run away from them, not supporting them... at some point the users run away to, because they will have not a good experience. We will see maybe 10.4 + 5 years so that would be 15.4 if that lts users switch if time runs out. If canonical dont have till then something better then their unity 7.3 bugfix release 520 and mir with some taped down own bugfix backported intel drivers and co, its over.

At the moment even people who dont have any problems with lisenses cant be happy with ubuntu, since 2 years or so 0 progress on the desktop site.
          i'm happy, very happy, a lot of ppl are happy, unity is the best DE, but calm down you are sad because what? canonical do something bad to you?

Comment

Red Hat doesn't do donkey dick for the desktop. I'm honestly shocked as to how dumb people are in regards to GNU/Linux doing something for the desktop by having the most server deployments in the world. NewsFlash, the GNU/Linux server does nothing to benefit the GNU/Linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              For now it may not be a problem, but in the future, with Ubuntu's biggers Desktop penetration, it may pose a broblem. Even if Wayland is superiour.
              Yeah, the same way Upstart did.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
                Red Hat doesn't do donkey dick for the desktop. I'm honestly shocked as to how dumb people are in regards to GNU/Linux doing something for the desktop by having the most server deployments in the world. NewsFlash, the GNU/Linux server does nothing to benefit the GNU/Linux desktop.
                Rofl you are funny, Redhat not only pays most or many (dont have the exact numbers) gnome developers, systemd and pulseaudio. AIGLX, dri2 (kristian hogsberg, who now because of his work at redhat has the experience to develop wayland, ok he get not payed at the moment from redhat as far as I know), Dave Airlie dont know what he exactly did while he worked for redhat but also one of the most important X Stack or mesa developers.

I think he was also the maintainer of radeon driver, or something or still is. Difficult to find the exact positions in a hurry.

Ahh I found a list, dont know if its complete but found at least most stuff I had in my mind:

alone 14 gnome developers and 4 kde developers... and the dont forget the backend stuff, and the kernel is also important for the desktop maybe not all parts of it but many. The current state of linux would not even thinkable without redhat we would be at least 5 years back if not more.

Comment

Rofl you are funny, Redhat not only pays most or many (dont have the exact numbers) gnome developers, systemd and pulseaudio.
                  It looks like Red Hat is mostly producing garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                    It looks like Red Hat is mostly producing garbage.
                    yes yes and this garbage did ubuntu use 10 years or so called gnome 2. and ati drivers etc of course nobody in this forums talks about how the free ati drivers are better than the blob... all garbage and u all dont use aiglx... and dri 1 2 3... and nobody uses pulseaudio... specialy not ubuntu, not even systemd. seems that even the superb ubuntu used and still use partialy even more (systemd) garbage.

But of course now comes the redhat only based systemd hate.

And yes while the switch happend to gnome 3 the gnome project took much hate, but not only gnome-(shell) at least the same amount hate did unity earn. all that was different than gnome 2 did take much hate. And even today open your ubuntu software manager and look how many stars gnome has and how many unity. Even the amount of gnome votes is interesting because its pretty difficult these days to install a at least current version of gnome in ubuntu.

Yes gnome2 had nothing to do with the success of ubuntu the last 10 years...

Comment

And even today open your ubuntu software manage
                      I don't use ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                      X