No announcement yet.

Eric Anholt Leaves Intel's Linux Graphics Team For Broadcom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUT on the other hand the company at least pays for that, that maybe leads to make more people learn gpu-development and we see more opensource developers in the future. the many nouvou drivers that save nvidia their ass that not on every distribution directly after the installation you only get a vesa out-of-the-box experience. To help with unpaid work a company that shits on freedom and openess is the bigger waste of man-power.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      No that is rational thinking. Are open-source-driver-developers better persons than all the other developers? I doubt it. So thats the normal game u learn u cant raise your income by much if you are not willing to change your employee. You have to at least threaten to do so. And even if you self dont search active for such job, they call u on the workplace if you are interesting and allure u with higher wages.
      So, before you and others embarrass yourselves too much, let me point out that daniels (and myself) are paid open source developers. And I think my experience mirrors his.. money is somewhat less likely to be the deciding factor. A lot of us could work elsewhere for more $$ if that was all we cared about. For me, I'm a big fan of FOSS, and the chance to work on something cool that I'd be doing on the weekends/evenings is more important.

And I doubt poaching is such a big problem. If anything, more companies investing in open src drivers is a good thing, and will ultimately result in more paid open src driver devs, faster progress on mesa, etc.

Comment

BTW, at least the video-encoder seems to be closed up, you need to pay them money to unlock other codecs and I guess they want to keep it that way, so again I feel their woudl be better socs/gpus that would be better targets. Like I said mali and so on are way more used gpus.
        Just fyi, for most codecs, broadcom would have to be paying a per-unit royalty for supported codecs. It is not uncommon for low cost SoC's to cut costs by not "supporting" some codecs which are there in the silicon. Either via blowing efuse or by not supplying firmware, etc, and passing the savings on to the consumer. I expect that is the case here.

Anyways, mali has nothing to do with this thread. It's not like Eric could get paid to write an open src driver for mali if ARM is not willing to hire someone to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
          Just fyi, for most codecs, broadcom would have to be paying a per-unit royalty for supported codecs. It is not uncommon for low cost SoC's to cut costs by not "supporting" some codecs which are there in the silicon. Either via blowing efuse or by not supplying firmware, etc, and passing the savings on to the consumer. I expect that is the case here.
          That's absolutely the case with the Raspberry Pi. You can even buy unlock codes for MPEG-2, VC-1, etc. from the foundation, if you want to.

Comment

No that is rational thinking. Are open-source-driver-developers better persons than all the other developers? I doubt it. So thats the normal game u learn u cant raise your income by much if you are not willing to change your employee. You have to at least threaten to do so. And even if you self dont search active for such job, they call u on the workplace if you are interesting and allure u with higher wages.

Thats just how it is. ok another posibility would be that intel is a toxic workplace and he did flee.
            i've left jobs at nec, a melbourne university college, linuxfund, canonical, and nokia previously: do you want to cast aspersions on whether i was just making a leap for more money in each case, or whether i got poached, or whether those were horrible places to work? or perhaps none of those are actually the case.

just quit the speculation on something that's none of your business - it's rude.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
              i've left jobs at nec, a melbourne university college, linuxfund, canonical, and nokia previously: do you want to cast aspersions on whether i was just making a leap for more money in each case, or whether i got poached, or whether those were horrible places to work? or perhaps none of those are actually the case.

just quit the speculation on something that's none of your business - it's rude.
              I dont agree to that, first of all I have no reason to believe the person who I am talking about reads random internet forums.

2nd I got something else before, it was worse speculations, maybe that is a cultural thing, but at some point a person becomes "a person of public interest" there are grades to that conzepts but no matter how much thez loose a bit the rights about their privacy and so on. I don't know if thats only a german thing but I doubt it?

I think Michael had to ask this person if he wanted to get into a press release with his name. So he had to know that such stuff can happen. Not that I did insult him or anything.

Switching for better carrier is a normal thing, apperently most successful people do that, that are the rules how business works generaly, so why would somebody be ashemed of that?

With the further thinking about toxic workplace was just a reaction because u doubted my thesis, so I tried to argue what over posibilities are there. If you attack me for making very reasonalbe very likely true statements u cant attack me then for rethinking my argument and going deeper into the question.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
                So, before you and others embarrass yourselves too much, let me point out that daniels (and myself) are paid open source developers. And I think my experience mirrors his.. money is somewhat less likely to be the deciding factor. A lot of us could work elsewhere for more $$ if that was all we cared about. For me, I'm a big fan of FOSS, and the chance to work on something cool that I'd be doing on the weekends/evenings is more important.

And I doubt poaching is such a big problem. If anything, more companies investing in open src drivers is a good thing, and will ultimately result in more paid open src driver devs, faster progress on mesa, etc.

And thats a bit the problem why answering to a old post after I discussed with other points before, is a bad thing, its bad when somebody comes a few days later to a discussion (not u but the first that talked to me about that point) and answers to one or my first post on this article.

I do not embaris myself, I see nothing to bad about speculating, I dont see how speculating can hurt somebody except I do hit the point.

The problem that is now clear to me, was a missconcept of the broadcom gpu, I thought there is something wrong with the hardware that cant be fixed. Now I learned thats the firmware thats bad so its fixable. With that missconcept in my mind the assumptions I made were very likely.

And again thats a internet forum or is that now a official corperate forum where only political correct stuff can be said, and a bit trolling to get your answers is not allowed.

I mean its not that I try to troll, and most of the time I think I bring valid points... but if you really only talk about stuff u know enough internet forums should be closed completly for good

And if Arm companies would not bring one proprietary garbage SOC completly GNU/Linux incompatible after another, maybe I would be less likely on 180 after hearing something that sound bad.

Comment

Working...
                X