Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dirty List Of GPUs With Open-Source Drivers Gone Wildly Wrong

Phoronix: The Dirty List Of GPUs With Open-Source Drivers Gone Wildly Wrong

This morning I shared the list of the 60+ graphics cards being tested under Linux for a set of very interesting articles coming up in the days ahead in this massive Linux graphics comparison in celebration of Phoronix.com's 10th birthday next week. While all of the graphics cards were tried, with the open-source drivers there were notable failures with both the AMD Radeon and Nouveau drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

First Mate Rummey , that oibaf is funny .

Comment

Bug #'s?

You forgot to link to the detailed bug reports you filed upstream on each of the issues you found.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce Harrington View Post
        You forgot to link to the detailed bug reports you filed upstream on each of the issues you found.
        I've already been explained many times in the past why that doesn't end up (unfortunately) working out, but the two main issues come down to:

- Already straining myself 18+ hour days / 7 days per week to work on Phoronix, PTS/OB/Phoromatic in a commercial capacity, plus other consulting, to make a living. Don't really have any other time. Already spent the past 7+ days working on this testing and not even done.

- An even larger issue broadly is that I am constantly changing out software / hardware components when carrying out different testing... Soon as this testing is done, the hardware/software is changed out to do whatever testing is needed for the next article. Constantly running multiple systems and doing whatever is needed for the next article. Thus even if I were to do a bug report by magically creating more time in a day, I wouldn't be able to follow-up with testing or verification of patches/fixes, since by the time the developers have looked at a given problem, the system I found the issue on is likely already reconfigured for a completely different task.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

You don't need to fill bugs many of those are known ... But you can link to that bug, for example: "RadeonSI broadly: register allocation issues with Xonotic on higher quality settings.... / broken register spilling" that is all same bug:

Comment

And you should mention also that some users of oibaf repo complain today that Unity won't even start .

Note: Phoronix disabled editing forum posts some time ago, so check the main PPA page (https://launchpad.net/%7Eoibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers/) for updated

Comment

You should just consider the thing as just a "in which state are the open-source drivers". That is to say, finality of the article. Automated testing is not designed to make bugs easier to report, just to see eventually if bugs happen. It's the same as "bug linking". Time consuming, so it's not easy to find them.

Michael, you have to be very confident when seeing such screen corruption that the hardware won't burn to hell

Comment

Michael, you should rent your hardware for bug testing!

Comment

X1800XT: bad rendering on some tests
                  X1950PRO: failed to schedule IB when it came to Tesseract test...
                  2005 called. They want their hardware back. Also they demand to know what that 'Tesseract' is.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                    2005 called. They want their hardware back. Also they demand to know what that 'Tesseract' is.
                    As said already, it's for a ten-year article trying to benchmark every GPU I have my hands on....

Tesseract has been covered many times: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ch&q=Tesseract
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X