No announcement yet.

We Have Mir & Wayland, But There Still Could Be X12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, performance of Xwayland might not be that bad and actually have some positive points ...but there is still a thing that concerns me....

There was her at Phoronix in a article something about a kinda of "road-map" for Wayland and how the devs intended that Wayland evolved in coming...
    ...What really concerned me was that at some point is was said/shown_in_schematic(don't recall exactly) that Xwayland was a temporary thing and would be dropped...and i really really didn't liked that.

Is this still planned to be done, sooner or later ?
    If so, how soon or how late ? 50 years , 20, 10, 5 ?

There was no info about that...and the most weird thing is that i started to think..."OK, so , X11 will enter in maintenance mode, if X11 enters in maintenance mode and will not evolve, Xwayland won't need to evolve either after some more time and could also enter in maintenance mode...so...WHY to REMOVE IT ?!? Sure it wouldn't take that much resources to simply maintain it !?!"

Because the thing is that there might a odd ball app that wants X and works and we still want/need to use it but if there is no more X or Xwayland, we can't.

*That* is my final true concern about all this thing with Xwayland (dunno what are intentions from Mir devs...but even if i knew , with Ubuntu, we never know what they pull of tomorrow )

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      There was no info about that...and the most weird thing is that i started to think..."OK, so , X11 will enter in maintenance mode, if X11 enters in maintenance mode and will not evolve, Xwayland won't need to evolve either after some more time and could also enter in maintenance mode...so...WHY to REMOVE IT ?!? Sure it wouldn't take that much resources to simply maintain it !?!"
      Because removing features is what Linux development is all about these days.

There's no need for you to be concerned though. X will be around for a long, long time to come... and will probably have no disadvantages against Wayland / Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
        S
        If you make a new display server, instead of making one with a remote rendering toolkit in it, you can (and thus, from c, should) make a display server and a separate remote rendering toolkit (or readily use one if such thing exists).
        The whole point of the way X has been done for the past 30 years is that we have been given the freedom, opportunity and tools to build our own rendering toolkits, as I did. I find it intensely relevant that you are not actually aware "if such thing exists".

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
          [...]anything that starts with X, as others have pointed out, should perish.
          What have I ever done to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Remote User View Post
            The whole point of the way X has been done for the past 30 years is that we have been given the freedom, opportunity and tools to build our own rendering toolkits, as I did. I find it intensely relevant that you are not actually aware "if such thing exists".
            I totally get that you like being able to do remote rendering, it was clear 2 pages ago.
            Now why this can only be done within a fully featured display server, I'd still like to know.

Comment

Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There is this operating system called Plan 9 from Bell Labs, it has the windowing system rio and it uses the 9P protocol.
              In Plan 9 from Bell Labs everything is network transparent.

Comment

Good, and nothing is stopping you from doing the same on Wayland, so you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Good, and nothing is stopping you from doing the same on Wayland, so you're good to go.
                  I have to ask you what is wrong with what I have that I should stop using X and use Wayland instead. What problem do I have that Wayland solves?

Comment

If you honestly don't know why Wayland was invented, I suggest you do some research.

Comment

I have to ask you what is wrong with what I have that I should stop using X and use Wayland instead. What problem do I have that Wayland solves?
                      A non-answer to your answer- what is wrong with 56k PPP connection to the internet that I should use a 25 MBit/s internet connection instead? (or let's go further, an acoustically coupled 300 baud one)

You may not have a problem. This doesn't mean the rest of us who want to see a fast, smooth, GL-based w/open drivers (or as open source as possible I suppose) Linux desktop that will take over the world, do not have a "problem"....

The reasons for Wayland's existence, its need, timeliness and transition map from X have been more than elaborated here and on the freedesktop site....

Comment

Working...
                      X