Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Phase Of X.Org GPU Hot-Plugging Works

Phoronix: First Phase Of X.Org GPU Hot-Plugging Works

David Airlie has demonstrated success in the first phase of his X.Org GPU/driver hot-plugging work, which eventually may lead to proper dynamic GPU switching under X...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so what about Bumblebee, ironhide and that stuff, what is the difference?

Comment

My understanding is that ironhide and bumblebee are nvidia-specific hacks, while this is proper hotplug implementation for X.

Example of things that could be possible with it (maybe, hopefully):
      A new driver for a graphics card is installed. Instead of closing all my apps, logging out, shutting down X, removing the old driver from the kernel, loading the new one, starting X and then ending up with all my apps closed, a single command reloads the driver, the screen blinks and it's *done*. It works like this on Windows already.

Looks like now it supports weird USB graphics cards. Not bad. The bumblebee/ironhide stuff could be nicely integrated into X drivers eventually... at least that's what I'm hoping for

Comment

sound awesome.

and imagine how even more awesome that would become if perfect offload and balancing between several GPUs be made while rendering to output from one of them!
        not only all those on-boards chips would become useful again but that would be a clean vendor-independent replacement for shit like Crossfire and such. of course its performance would be all about memory and it's a bitch to copy memory via motherboards buses instead of direct connection so, it's mostly about raw computing.

Comment

I applaud these steps to a efficient and decent use of all available silicon.

Hopefully hot-plugging will be standardized and done for all kinds of devices in the future. Not just graphics cards.
          (think about audio-cards)

Just like there is now work on a unified memory management stuff.
          (Not just for GPU's.)

Comment

Originally posted by Peterix View Post
            A new driver for a graphics card is installed. Instead of closing all my apps, logging out, shutting down X, removing the old driver from the kernel, loading the new one, starting X and then ending up with all my apps closed, a single command reloads the driver, the screen blinks and it's *done*. It works like this on Windows already.
            Could you be more precise here, please?

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
              sound awesome.

and imagine how even more awesome that would become if perfect offload and balancing between several GPUs be made while rendering to output from one of them!
              not only all those on-boards chips would become useful again but that would be a clean vendor-independent replacement for shit like Crossfire and such. of course its performance would be all about memory and it's a bitch to copy memory via motherboards buses instead of direct connection so, it's mostly about raw computing.
              Some of us had been waiting for this for years since both Nvidia and AMD announced hybrid graphics. I've wanted to be able to kick back to the IGP when 3D wasn't needed and shut down the dedicated GPU card to save on heat and power as well as make the IGP at least marginally useful as a GPGPU while using the GPU card for 3D, much like Nvidia's PhysX spare GPU coprocessor.
              Last edited by Kivada; 23 October 2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                Could you be more precise here, please?
                Sure. Last time I installed Windows 7, it had some crap old nvidia driver already. After installing a new one, no reboots were required (the equivalent of the messing around with kernel modules). The screen turned off for a second when the graphics card restarted and the running apps didn't even notice. I really wish this was possible with X... and it looks like it will be. There's no reason why it shouldn't be possible apart from legacy design problems, which can be solved

Comment

what i am worried about is that by the time this whole thing is complete we won't need it anymore (at least for Xorg)

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    Hopefully hot-plugging will be standardized and done for all kinds of devices in the future. Not just graphics cards.
                    (think about audio-cards)
                    Hotplug of both GPUs and most other devices already works at the kernel level. You can plug in a USB sound card or mouse today and it will work. It's really only X that doesn't deal with GPU hotplug (X input hotplug already works for the most part).

Comment

Working...
                    X