Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIA Launches A Graphics Card. Will It Work With Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Doesn't anyone remember the benchmark of S3's latest generation of cards being faster on Linux than Windows? I am not saying I would buy them. However, several of you are just plain wrong. The latest generation has good blob support, even though the open drivers are quite scary to deal with. It does have VDPAU and 3D acceleration. The question is "is it worth the money?" Unfortunately, the answer is no.

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Even though it might be interesting from a power usage p.o.v. and possibly suitable for HTPC it is not interesting due to a lack of drivers or specifications. Looking at VIAs history (windows and linux side) I'll better stay far away from this.
    Even if there was a bibary blob driver the quality would be horrible. And we never really saw any working free driver or specifications suitable for the devs to make their own.
    Via's chips are definitely horrible under Windows and not just Linux (think their old MVP chipsets) It's all just cheap, weak hardware not really worth bothering with.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Even though it might be interesting from a power usage p.o.v. and possibly suitable for HTPC it is not interesting due to a lack of drivers or specifications. Looking at VIAs history (windows and linux side) I'll better stay far away from this.
    Even if there was a bibary blob driver the quality would be horrible. And we never really saw any working free driver or specifications suitable for the devs to make their own.

Leave a comment:

• efikkan
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    With no linux blobs for the 5000 series how is it that it can support vdpau?
    It's the embedded version of the Chrome 500 series. Let's hope they finish the drivers soon.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    The GPU supports VDPAU and it is present in the driver for the S3 Chrome 500 series, but I haven't tested if it actually works.
    With no linux blobs for the 5000 series how is it that it can support vdpau?

Leave a comment:

• efikkan
    replied
    If they actually managed to create decent GNU/Linux drivers and maybe made them open source, then I think this would be an OK HTPC/low end card. The GPU supports VDPAU and it is present in the driver for the S3 Chrome 500 series, but I haven't tested if it actually works. AMD still lacks video acceleration.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Via's drivers suck. Stay far away if you wish to keep your sanity.

Yes, fglrx is a piece of cake compared to that steaming pile.

Leave a comment:

• efikkan
    replied
    It's disappointing there is no support for OpenGL 3.3.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    The comments there say that it really only works on ancient software. So: No thanks for me.
    Well I would certainly hope that they have released an updated driver after Feb 2009

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    5) Video acceleration not working for h264 [email protected] Videos?

(the 1080p mp4 trailer)
    That trailer is high@ l 5.0. Big jump in capabilities between 5.0 and 5.1.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X