No announcement yet.

OpenGL ES For KWin In KDE SC 4.7 Is Taking Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, Qt4's raster is the default in many distros. So I guess you're using it too but simply don't know it. Also, raster is pretty old and has been around for ages. It's not some bleeding edge thing.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      Great news.
      Soon it'll be nearly as advanced as Clutter
      Clutter is a widget toolkit which uses GL to render itself.

This is something like Qt, only years too late

You should compare KWin to Mutter, not Clutter. The difference between KWin and Mutter is that one has been released and works, and the other one hasn't

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Lol? And Wayland's a bad idea?
        Carsten Haitzler aka Rasterman: "It's a myth that X11 makes things slow - it's bad drivers that do that, and badly written X11 apps or toolkits."

Comment

Long time exclusive Gnome user here:

I really like where KDE is going. I like the fact that they still hold to the traditional one-panel-on-bottom, window-buttons-on-right. KWin is much much more advanced than both metacity and mutter, and the app base is as good as gnome's. So far, I really had performance issues with KWin compositing / 2D accel (ATI) and I was skeptical about KDE. Now, since my switch to NVidia (same tier graphic card), KWin works as fast as metacity/mutter with twice the power, so there are no performance impacts here anymore and I consider KDE for a primary DE of my choice.

Comment

Kwin is constant 60fps vsynced on my HD5770 with Fedora 15 FLOSS driver. What hardware did you have?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Kwin is constant 60fps vsynced on my HD5770 with Fedora 15 FLOSS driver. What hardware did you have?
              HD4650 (ddr3). Left alone, it was good, but playing a movie or WoW and it lagged like crazy.

Comment

That's wierd... My laptop HD 5470 can do that very well, but that's probably because of the Core i3 and the much improved FLOSS driver state in Fedora 15...

It's no secret though that FLOSS is slower. Did you try it with Catalyst?

Comment

Catalyst is even worse with KWin. At the time, I was running Arch linux with the latest kernel/dri/gallium -- something close to what Fedora 15 has ATM.

Also: I am running KDE on dual head 1920x1200 + 1680x1050 - bigger resolution, worse performance, but the card should have handled it good. With NV, i don't have that problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X