No announcement yet.

Qualcomm's Open Kernel Driver Leads To A Dirty Mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the rumor would be true then it would definately be ARM and definately not *puke* nVidia, or at least not untill they will get to the point where 3Dfx was before it released spec on the deathbed, to die shortly afterwards ^^,

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      Got it in one. There's a reason RagePRO doesn't have 3D support without DIY intervention- it's because there's no way to do this very safeguarding even WITH the info to drive it with.

What surprises me is that Dave names 6 players in the ARM space for 3D, naming a few that I know for a fact are buying other people's 3D cores. Yes, there's 6 games in town right at the moment, all closed.

The list I know about is:

Imagination Technologies
      Qualcomm
      ARM
      DMP
      NVIDIA

To be sure, there might be a few more, but Freescale, Samsung, and Marvell are just buying cores from someone else (like TI's doing)- in most of the cases they're buying from ImgTec.

I honestly wish someone would wise up and realize that it is better to hand us most of the keys to the kingdom and flourish than to fight with us and languish. The first credible player to have a fully open decently performing FOSS 3D stack wins and wins big. I think there might be behind the scenes pressure on at least 2-3 of those on the list to make things much, much more open, based on some of my rumor grapevine info. We'll just have to see, won't we?
      Both Samsung and Marvell have non imgtec cores also, Marvell's is done by Vivante http://www.vivantecorp.com/mrvl.html and Marvell is heaviliy involved in the running of that company, and Samsung have an in-house one that I believe is even documented. On some SoCs they still use ImgTec but I expect them to phase it out.

Dave.

Comment

KDE 3.5 is fast as hell - especially for old systems. But there are KDE 4.3 isos too. When you compare reaction time or ram usage kde 3.5 is the clear winner.

Comment

Not to trash this thread, but KDE 4.4 and onward can handle more load due to data engines and code sharing due to layers. The effect of this is that due to serial acces it is almost just as fast on a p4 as it is on a core2 quad :').

Memory 'usage' largely due to cashing and loading all this shared functionality even when you're only running just a calculator. But when you're having a lot of KDE Qt apps running it is actually more efficient. Also you can tweak KDE4 performance to more suit you expectations.

Comment

Also KDE 4.x is known to show memory leaks on older gfx drivers when effects are enabled.

Comment

Isn't that not the problem on the driver side, instead of KDE4? Or are you talking about the practical implications? Qaridarium doesn't run with prehistoric HW

Comment

Working...
              X