Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server Clears Out Remnants For Supporting Old Compilers

Phoronix: X.Org Server Clears Out Remnants For Supporting Old Compilers

There are still no signs of a new X.Org Server feature release coming in the near-term with most of the major stakeholders divesting from the xorg-server besides the XWayland portion of the code-base. But for those interested in the past few days there have been some NetBSD/OpenBSD build fixes to the X.Org Server as well as clearing out some remnants of old compiler support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lots of talk but little action by those anti-Wayland holdouts in the community to actually contribute to X.Org Server development.
    I agree partially.

There's alternatives for both Xorg and Wayland, such as Arcan and DirectFB2.

Xorg isn't worth it, but versatile and more powerful alternatives are there. Those should get a lot more attention and usage.
    Last edited by timofonic; 20 February 2024, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I agree partially.

Xorg isn't worth it, but versatile and more powerful alternatives are there. Those should get a lot more attention and usage.
      ChatGPT entered the forum?

Comment

I agree partially.

Eh wayland is more powerful than both and its better supported in general, Arcan is basically xorg 2.0 in the sense it repeats the same mistakes of xorg, idk about DirectFB2 but i assume it has similar issues considering nobody ever adopted it for any widespread usage.

Wayland is fundamentally more secure and powerful in ways that xorg and arcan could never achieve. There's a reason everyone adopted wayland instead of these other sub-par display protocols.

Comment

Do you know if they offer anything that Wayland doesn't?

Comment

LOL, Arcan is a joke, it takes a more modern client server approach with direct rendering surfaces like Wayland, and then ports back all the bullshit that made Xorg a security nightmare. Use Arcan, but you gonna use Wayland clients on it 99% of the time. No one will stop you.

And Directfb2? Yea thats to directly fill the framebuffer from CPU for hardcore embedded systems without DRI, nothing powerful to it.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Arcan offers some mistakes Xorg made that were left out of Wayland, thats all it has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

They don't, in fact, wayland offers a lot more security and features than both. Fundamentally the design of wayland is better for the long-term and its built to be adaptive to future circumstances (minimal and modular design) and avoids a lot of pitfalls of xorg and arcan

Sandboxing IMO is a requirement for any new technology like this and there is genuinely no reason to not have it as a feature, the linux desktop absolutely needs enhanced security measures if we are to survive the competition, wayland is the future and everyone knows it.

Comment

With all the patches Enrico Weigelt posted recently, one should speak of a re-newed interest in Xorg-Server development.

Comment

Originally posted by hedonist View Post

They don't, in fact, wayland offers a lot more security and features than both.
                    Is there a single documented case of people getting hacked due to ostensible X'org insecurity? No? Just what I thought.

Your "In fact" (Join Date: Jan 2024, lovely), in fact is a load of inanity. Mind your words next time please.

Outside very niche per monitor scaling and VRR, is there a single standout Wayland feature not available in Xorg which is available across all 15 or so different display servers implementing Wayland? No? Just what I thought. I mean even per monitor VRR is not implemented across all Wayland compositors.

I get it Wayland is "new" and "shiny", but there's no need to lie about both Xorg and Wayland. Xorg is not that bad, Wayland is far from being universally good - for one thing it's extremely fragmented (would be OK if all the implementations offered the same APIs and features) and no one gives a heck about that.

I don't understand however why any activity in regard to Xorg becomes a trigger for Wayland fans. Are you actually paying for Wayland development? No? Then is it even your business someone wants to maintain Xorg?

Developers don't owe you just because you're so enthralled by Wayland.

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    With all the patches Enrico Weigelt posted recently, one should speak of a re-newed interest in Xorg-Server development.
                    Xorg is not just about Linux. FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD and AIX also use it. Not sure about Solaris and whether it's still alive.
                    Last edited by avis; 20 February 2024, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X