Open-Source Graphics DevRoom Returning For FOSDEM 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I would if i didn't hate discord for devel stuff, they have a matrix/tgram/irc bridged by any chance?
    Unfortunately not.

I don't like Discord too, it's proprietary and prone to issues such as spam, plus limits for free accounts such as "server limit". But many projects use it and I can even use it in my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Arcan ftw. We need DE's to start supporting Arcan.
      First time I hear of Arcan. Do you mind explaining what it is? Is it like an alternative to GTK/QT/etc? I read about it a bit on their site and saw "Lua scripting interface" with no mention of any other interfaces. I don't think there are many people who would want to develop their apps using Lua.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        People who are looking for Wayland, a buffer and input API, to support things which aren't in those two things will be deeply disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

First time I hear of Arcan. Do you mind explaining what it is? Is it like an alternative to GTK/QT/etc? I read about it a bit on their site and saw "Lua scripting interface" with no mention of any other interfaces. I don't think there are many people who would want to develop their apps using Lua.
          Arcan is a framework for creating GUIs, display servers, multimedia frameworks, and game engines. It uses Lua and supports OpenGL, Wayland, Xorg, etc.

Durden is a desktop environment for Arcan that lets you customize and control everything on your screen using Lua scripts and a command-line interface.

Durden, Pipeworld, Safespaces, Lash, and Cat9 are some of the projects that use Arcan to create different kinds of user interfaces and applications.

Comment

I would if i didn't hate discord for devel stuff, they have a matrix/tgram/irc bridged by any chance?
            This discord seriously has become a plague. And projects that seem to rely only on this can't be taken serious.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

The graphics room was always packed to the full whenever I was attending. but I guess the competition for devrooms is fierce.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

In short (it's a little bit more than this, but just for the sake of an easy explanation): Arcan is an alternative to X11 and Wayland. And no, it's not just Lua: it supports GTK, Qt, etc. through Wayland and XWayland compatibility layers. And it supports more than Lua for native interfacing, too.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 20 November 2023, 12:00 PM.

Comment

if Arcan can support most wayland protocols and have good x support (even if via xwayland) that would be massive, I would swap in a heart beat, but last time I tried it didn't work out too well for me
                  It already support all of what you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It already support all of what you mentioned.
                    Last time I tested it the wayland support wasn't very good, is it good now?

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

This discord seriously has become a plague. And projects that seem to rely only on this can't be taken serious.
                    I don't mind discord for private stuff (especially since revolt is so janky). but when it comes to devel stuff, I would really rather avoid it​

Comment

Last time I tested it the wayland support wasn't very good, is it good now?
                      It has been good from the start. But YMMV, just like with Wayland itself and even with X11 (let's not pretend X11 has never given anyone headaches).

Comment

Working...
                      X