Loongson Extending Etnaviv Driver For PCI Device Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoron View Post

How do you mean "existing" ? I'm not aware that such an interesting card exists yet. It could indeed solve some cases.
    Escuse me, I meant to type "interesting" there. I totally understand the confusion. To my knowledge, such a card does not exist yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I'm sure that's what they said when RISC-V was announced: “How stupid, they should just ditch RISC-V and adopt ARM or x64 instead.”.

Who knows, maybe Loongson will be as good as RISC-V in most areas.
      Yeah, Loongson probably isn't bad, and probably will be good, but its their own thing while RISC-V is internationally backed by many of the largest companies so it will have much better adoption, maturity, support and ecosystem with kernels, applications, tooling, compilers, linkers and debuggers.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yeah, Loongson probably isn't bad, and probably will be good, but its their own thing while RISC-V is internationally backed by many of the largest companies so it will have much better adoption, maturity, support and ecosystem with kernels, applications, tooling, compilers, linkers and debuggers.
        Again: that was the thing with ARM, too. Started out locally and is now backed by many of the largest companies. And RISC-V too, btw: started out locally in British RISC PC's and is only now backed by many of the largest companies. So the same could happen to Loongson.

Comment

Based heavily on MIPS64... and not too difficult to port. Also I think it's not just about the ISA, but having a design that doesn't rely or touch external patents that they can use as a target for their own fab processes.

Comment

Again: that was the thing with ARM, too. Started out locally and is now backed by many of the largest companies. And RISC-V too, btw: started out locally in British RISC PC's and is only now backed by many of the largest companies. So the same could happen to Loongson.
            RISC-V was backed by large universities since day one such as University of California, and since day one had one had prominent and famous designers, scientists and engineers such as David Patterson.

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post

Based heavily on MIPS64... and not too difficult to port. Also I think it's not just about the ISA, but having a design that doesn't rely or touch external patents that they can use as a target for their own fab processes.
            Yeah, based on the old, legacy MIPS architecture, as opposed to RISC-V which is a modern, clean-slate, legacy-free design. Also, RISC-V is made to be free, open, royalty-free and free of external patents, so it would be a great choice.

Comment

I'm sure that's what they said when RISC-V was announced: “How stupid, they should just ditch RISC-V and adopt ARM or x64 instead.”.

Who knows, maybe Loongson will be as good as RISC-V in most areas.
              No, they couldn't adopt x64 because it is a proprietary architecture owned by Intel and AMD.
              They could adopt ARM because it possible to license the architecture, but then they would still have to pay royalties and pay for a license, and it is owned by a British company, which means in case of sanctions they could pressure Arm not to renew the licenses or to revoke the licenses.

So RISC-V is attractive because it is free, open, royalty-free, modern, legacy-free.

Comment

Yeah, based on the old, legacy MIPS architecture, as opposed to RISC-V which is a modern, clean-slate, legacy-free design. Also, RISC-V is made to be free, open, royalty-free and free of external patents, so it would be a great choice.
                It's precisely because there is no patent pool, which makes if vulnerable to external patents, and fragmentation from vendor patenting certain features. (it's vulnerable to Embrace, extend extinguish). Also while the ISA is free, the on-chip details of implementation may not be.

Comment

Working...
                X