Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3Dfx Voodoo 1 & 2 Glide Linux Driver Retired, Other X.Org Code Officially Retired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3Dfx Voodoo 1 & 2 Glide Linux Driver Retired, Other X.Org Code Officially Retired

Phoronix: 3Dfx Voodoo 1 & 2 Glide Linux Driver Retired, Other X.Org Code Officially Retired

In clearing up the state of various X.Org packages that have been effectively unmaintained for years, an attempt is being made to better communicate the status of some "retired" X.Org packages that Linux distributions should work towards removing as they are no longer being maintained...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i've just seen a movie on youtube with someone that made one of these cards to work on w10

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
      i've just seen a movie on youtube with someone that made one of these cards to work on w10
      Ok but… why?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Ok but… why?
        why not?!

nerds are gonna nerd

Comment

This is sad. These are iconic devices. They should stay in the source tree as a tribute even if disabled in the default build.
          People these days don't understand tech heritage.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post
            This is sad. These are iconic devices. They should stay in the source tree as a tribute even if disabled in the default build.
            People these days don't understand tech heritage.
            They will stay in the git history forever, but what is the point of keeping them in the main branch if they are unmaintained and not functional for years?

Comment

Who had a Banshee?! I liked mine
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                Who had a Banshee?! I liked mine
                I had a Banshee.

And I still have a Voodoo 3 3000. I might still have the 2000 as well, but might've recycled that few years ago.

That said, I have used it in years, although it still functioned on windows 7 just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  This driver is for using dedicated 3D cards like Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 for displaying 2d desktop graphics.
                  I remember using it briefly but I was let down by the too low resolution.

Comment

Hey! I wrote that Glide driver! :-)

That was a lot of fun. More of a "can it be done?" type of thing than really useful since it was so slow without any 2D acceleration. But it let me have two screens with the Voodoo driving the second screen which was cool.

Sad to see it go, but it's been irrelevant for forever by now so I'm not surprised.... :-)

-- Henrik

Comment

Working...
                    X