X11 Server Development Pace Hits A Two Decade Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by microcode View Post

Hey guess what... most applications people use don't use Win32 GDI for primary drawing. A web view (including VSCode, Discord, Slack, Spotify, Figma...) or browser window, a graphics application canvas, most of the UI in graphics applications. In theory X11 and RDP have better options than damage and bitmaps; in practice rarely does this matter.
    All these applications work better/faster under RDP as well. And you never admitted you were wrong. Why am I even talking to you? I hate such people, so basically goodbye.

Comment

• Originally posted by avis View Post
      All these applications work better/faster under RDP as well. And you never admitted you were wrong. Why am I even talking to you? I hate such people, so basically goodbye.
      You're the one making the claim that RDP has advantages in webviews over just sending bitmaps or video of the surface... but that is all RDP does in that case anyway. Using a video codec to transmit surfaces was only introduced in RDP 10...

RDP's real strengths are for deep integrations, like RemoteApp (similar could probably be done with Flatpak + FUSE + a remote-only Wayland compositor).
      Last edited by microcode; 13 January 2023, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X