X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billyswong
    replied
    Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Oh, I thought it was about keeping the WM and the server separate, sorry.
    Yeah, CSD is quite short sighted. I can't deny it's pretty and may have its use, but assuming no mistakes were made has always been the greatest mistake of modern computing.
    if someone really really like CSD aesthetic, I think a good compromise would be providing a way for CSD style applications (Winamp is probably the earliest of them all) to communicate to WM, where are your min/max/close button, and where are your drag-to-move handle. With so, their PoV of beauty won't conflict with our PoV of practicality.

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by billyswong View Post
    I was replying to a client side decoration supporter that claimed server side decoration is BS.
    Oh, I thought it was about keeping the WM and the server separate, sorry.
    Yeah, CSD is quite short sighted. I can't deny it's pretty and may have its use, but assuming no mistakes were made has always been the greatest mistake of modern computing.

Leave a comment:

• billyswong
    replied

As long as the compositor itself is not hanged and you use server side decorations, shouldn't all that still work?
    I was replying to a client side decoration supporter that claimed server side decoration is BS.

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by billyswong View Post
    There are valid reasons for "two processes be responsible for drawing one window". I like hanged / busy windows still being draggable and the minimize / close button still works.
    As long as the compositor itself is not hanged and you use server side decorations, shouldn't all that still work?

Leave a comment:

• billyswong
    replied
    And the supposed "modern" protocol made the wrong assumption that fractional scaling is unneeded because it wouldn't be popular for all the alignment issue. The Wayland team is proven wrong. The manufacturers don't care. The consumers don't care enough. The market, 10 years after Apple's "Retina" is out, is full of monitors that expect people to use fractional scaling, especially laptop monitors and 4k monitors. Near 10 years are wasted because they insisted on downscaling window surfaces in compositor layer from integer scale to fractional scale, taking blurriness and inefficiency for everybody instead of some potential gaps and out of alignment for less well written software.

Now various mitigation proposals for Wayland are being written and tried by compositors outside the GNOME ecosystem. We will see which of them succeed. It is also possible for someone to come up with implementation for Windows-like mixed-DPI fractional scaling support in X.Org, now that X.Org is not maintained by the personnel in Wayland team and they can no longer block innovations there. The only true limitation of X in mixed DPI support is that it can't give a totally smooth drag of windows from screen A to screen B across DPI boundary, while keeping the window size "correct" in both sides. In the crossing phase, either one side would be too big or another side would be too small, just like what's happening in Windows.

Leave a comment:

• billyswong
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Why should Gnome shoot itself in the foot by adopting old mistakes into a modern protocol.

Why should two processes be responsible for drawing one window, it was madness in the past and never properly worked, why in gods name should we do that BS again.

KDE adopted that because why should they care if something sucks, producing a desktop that sucks is in their DNA.

Again there already is a proper solution, which is either already adopted by the usual "toolkits" like SDL2. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...L2-Wayland-CSD
    There are valid reasons for "two processes be responsible for drawing one window". I like hanged / busy windows still being draggable and the minimize / close button still works.

Leave a comment:

• MorrisS.
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

Um, so you're keen to insult and don't want to actually converse/argue. Good luck.
    -------------------------your condition is your problem, a condition is not an insult. Try to face with it to fix your problems. Goodbye.

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
    My natural state is cynical pessimism (which I defend as realism), so people like you are needed for balance.
    I generally am a cynical pessimist as well. But maintaining distros tend to be the exception in terms of community participation, as opposed to actually sending patches to support e.g. older hardware. And the cooperation for the BSDs should solve the second part (code maintenance) in this particular case.

Leave a comment:

• Old Grouch
    replied
    Maybe I'm too much of an optimist with this, I don't know.
    My natural state is cynical pessimism (which I defend as realism), so people like you are needed for balance.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

Normally, I don't communicate with non sense people, even if I make an exception replying to you in this case. As for your message, it is possible that I've missed your reply for not personal reasons. any way from your argument I get the following suggestion: try to cure yourself you have mental issues.

By the way: no notification was sent about your reply.
    Um, so you're keen to insult and don't want to actually converse/argue. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X