X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
    Well, I would not be so sure. There is highly vocal opposition to systemd, and while there do exist non-systemd distributions, they are not top mainstream ones (By which I mean Red Hat, SuSE and Debian). If you work hard, you can avoid systemd, and I suspect Wayland will end up the same. The X Window System will become niche and risk falling into desuetude.
    Of course those won't be mainstream. Mainstream will always aim for regular users (except servers and embedded, but those won't run a GUI most of the time anyway), which means going for the safe-for-average-users defaults. Besides, systemd is special in that it's pervasive. It's rather hard for those distros to maintain both non-systemd and systemd workflows. X11 and Wayland are more or less independent. Only GNOME and maybe KDE are really likely to not be packaged with X11 support in the foreseeable futuro IMO, but you'd need to go out of your way to install the relevant packages and all that. But even then, some of the non-systemd distros work rather well AFAIK (I wouldn't know for sure as I like systemd, I'd only try non-systemd distros for embedded or to try out s6 that seems interesting).
    But yeah, we agree that X11 will cease to be the mainstream, that's in part the point. That said, I don't think it'll fall into oblivion since (some?) BSDs are unlikely to adopt Wayland too.
    Maybe I'm too much of an optimist with this, I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• MorrisS.
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

You've completely neglected my reply to your message as well as this entire discussion and all the information within. Are you talking to yourself, dude? This is now the second reply in this topic which makes absolutely no sense.
    Normally, I don't communicate with non sense people, even if I make an exception replying to you in this case. As for your message, it is possible that I've missed your reply for not personal reasons. any way from your argument I get the following suggestion: try to cure yourself you have mental issues.

By the way: no notification was sent about your reply.

Leave a comment:

• Old Grouch
    replied
    Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Yeah, I agree with that. But that said, I insist, while they probably want to, the nature of the Linux community pretty much makes it really unlikely that they can force you to switch to Wayland. Just as they couldn't make you switch to GNOME 3, because the attempt resulted in GNOME 2 being forked as MATE.
    Well, I would not be so sure. There is highly vocal opposition to systemd, and while there do exist non-systemd distributions, they are not top mainstream ones (By which I mean Red Hat, SuSE and Debian). If you work hard, you can avoid systemd, and I suspect Wayland will end up the same. The X Window System will become niche and risk falling into desuetude.

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
    I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with functionality that technically savvy users need (or maybe, want) not being available because of simplification, which is one of the criticisms levelled at GNOME. Sensible, secure defaults are a great idea. Missing functionality, less so.
    Yeah, I agree with that. But that said, I insist, while they probably want to, the nature of the Linux community pretty much makes it really unlikely that they can force you to switch to Wayland. Just as they couldn't make you switch to GNOME 3, because the attempt resulted in GNOME 2 being forked as MATE.

Leave a comment:

• Old Grouch
    replied

But here's the deal: if you want the Linux to actually be usable by a wider public, you need to allow non-technical users who really don't know how to apply best security practices to use it. You may be very wise with what you execute, but the average user is not. So, you need your defaults to be secure for the average user. That is what Wayland attempts to solve. Depending on the user being tech-savvy is even worse than counting on the sufficiently disciplined programmer.
    I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with functionality that technically savvy users need (or maybe, want) not being available because of simplification, which is one of the criticisms levelled at GNOME. Sensible, secure defaults are a great idea. Missing functionality, less so.

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
    Is a non-tech savvy person allowed to know the administrator password to install new software on their own computer? Probably yes. So how can we protect the user from themselves?
    Any third party application will have full access to disk, and we worry if it will be able to read a pixel of some other window or log keystrokes?
    All this security hoopla of X11 vs Wayland is largely invented, as it solves the problem, which can not be solved at that level, by making lots of new problems.
    That's a good point, since they are likely to have that password if they own the computer. But the Wayland vs X11 shenanigans apply to non-root applications. A user without the admin password can still get compromised with X11, while it'd be at least somewhat less likely with Wayland.

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
    If you want full security and a nanny OS, you have to go the Apple way. Only allow installing of signed applications from the app store.
    I have an M1 based Mac, and my own applications do not run, if I don't sign them (and all the libraries). And to sign them, I have to apply for certificate, pay the fee, allow Apple to revoke the certificate and block my applications, as they see fit.
    If Linux ever becomes like that, I will stop using it.
    Luckily, "Linux" won't become like that ever. Since it works by creating multiple distros catered to different users, and a sizable fraction of the user base for Linux (quite the majority currently) wants a greater level of control, you'll always have a distro that doesn't nanny you. That doesn't mean you don't need a distro that is like that for the average user to be able to run it.
    And that's pretty much my point, you take it as if you'll have no option but to use it and as if it was a personal attack to your intelligence, when it isn't. X11 will be around and distros preferring it will always arise. Even if X.org decides to drop it, which IMO is unlikely, the number of people interested is enough for them to maintain a fork in the future. But for the rest, Wayland is a more appropriate approach.

Leave a comment:

• dpeterc
    replied
    But here's the deal: if you want the Linux to actually be usable by a wider public, you need to allow non-technical users who really don't know how to apply best security practices to use it. You may be very wise with what you execute, but the average user is not. So, you need your defaults to be secure for the average user. That is what Wayland attempts to solve. Depending on the user being tech-savvy is even worse than counting on the sufficiently disciplined programmer.
    Is a non-tech savvy person allowed to know the administrator password to install new software on their own computer? Probably yes. So how can we protect the user from themselves?
    Any third party application will have full access to disk, and we worry if it will be able to read a pixel of some other window or log keystrokes?
    All this security hoopla of X11 vs Wayland is largely invented, as it solves the problem, which can not be solved at that level, by making lots of new problems.

If you want full security and a nanny OS, you have to go the Apple way. Only allow installing of signed applications from the app store.
    I have an M1 based Mac, and my own applications do not run, if I don't sign them (and all the libraries). And to sign them, I have to apply for certificate, pay the fee, allow Apple to revoke the certificate and block my applications, as they see fit.
    If Linux ever becomes like that, I will stop using it.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
    Of course I know how screenshots and capture works on Xorg. This might be shocking to you or even confuse and anger you, but I still prefer it over the Wayland approach.
    See, this is where I fendamentally disagree with the Wayland mindset: Wayland considers my desktop to be under constant threat of attack from rogue applications siphoning off my data for nefarious purposes. But that just feels wrong to me. To me my desktop is the castle, so to me the security boundary is getting on my system in the first place. If some malware gets there I'm hosed one way or another, no help from Xorg nececessary. I only install and use software I consider trustworthy, at least on bare metal. Wayland instead tries do defend against a threat that's already gotten past the walls and is on the inside. To do that there are now locks on all your doors and to some of them you don't even get the keys. You have to ask the security officer to get anywhere and sometimes he win't even let you. For your own safety, of course. That's insane. Who would want to live like this?
    There is, for example, no way to write a compositor-agnostic drop-down terminal. It has to be written as an extension using proprietary APIs specific to the compositor. Bet then, what's the point? Regular apps aren't allowed to do it, but a compositor extension is fine. So what's the fucking point? Write the keyligger as GNOME extension, then.
    Also, you mock Xorg being a wild west where anything goes, but where is the keybinding API for Wayland? As far as I know this is still an unsolved problem. At least I hear a lot of complaints about things stuff like push-to-talk not working.

You know what's embarassing? Even Android's display system is more full featured than Wayland. You can actually draw over other applications and even at any position you want. There's also a way to register actions to pressing a certain key combo. Think about that.

The idea that you can have a full featured display server by giving you a limited number of restrictive APIs is crazy. There's always going to be a long tail of uses you are going to sweep under the rug that way. Not in scope, too much work, no you don't actually want that. By all means, something better than Xorg would be nice, but fuck that patronizing shit.
    Amen.

Leave a comment:

• Duff~
    replied
    old software bad

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
    See, this is where I fendamentally disagree with the Wayland mindset: Wayland considers my desktop to be under constant threat of attack from rogue applications siphoning off my data for nefarious purposes. But that just feels wrong to me. To me my desktop is the castle, so to me the security boundary is getting on my system in the first place. If some malware gets there I'm hosed one way or another, no help from Xorg nececessary. I only install and use software I consider trustworthy, at least on bare metal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X