Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server Adds "AsyncFlipSecondaries" To Deal With Crappy Multi-Monitor Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

You never fail to fail lol
    How did I fail? Most articles that discuss X end up into an X vs. Wayland discussion.

Comment

Here's everything you need to know about the state of the Linux community:

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Even that is not enough. I want them to shoot the devs who contributed X11 code as a warning to the rest.
      A very nice call to murder people. Why talk about technical stuff when you can throw such tantrums publicly. As for me personally I no longer care.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post
        Here's everything you need to know about the state of the Linux community:

A very nice call to murder people. Why talk about technical stuff when you can throw such tantrums publicly. As for me personally I no longer care.
        That was (obviously) a joke, I was taunting the comment I was replying to for being cruel.

Comment

These guys are great. I only hope they can get enough testing.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

That was (obviously) a joke, I was taunting the comment I was replying to for being cruel.
            Knowing the kind of character you can meet online, I'd say Poe's Law is at play. Next time use a tag.

Comment

well, I think that was the single biggest complaint with x11 right?
              glad its sorted, now back to Wayland development!

Comment

I actually was never able to get proton vsync to work on triple monitors, as my primary would tear unless I disabled the others. Using TearFree would work, I seem to remember, but resulted in some serious mentioned stuttering. I always just assumed it had to do with syncing a single "screen"/canvas with multiple "displays" on X. Looks like this would fix that for me :3

Just to bait some of the KILL THE UNBELIEVERS fellers, last I tried I still couldn't seemingly get any unredirect to actually work on any wayland compositors; Sway or Plasma. With uncapped FPS, I got serious stuttering where the FPS average might be 100+ but it most often looked like 18, and overall performance was lower. With capped, somewhat improved but still pretty bad. I'm still not sure how wayland syncs displays or how games read it, and I don't know what I was doing wrong either. Disabling displays didn't help.

One of at least two reasons I gotta stick to X for now; the other being drawing tablets. This fix will make my life just that much better. Big TY dev
                Last edited by doomie; 09 September 2021, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Knowing the kind of character you can meet online, I'd say Poe's Law is at play. Next time use a tag.
                  No, if you take that for serious you're either an idiot or the commenter is a killer, none of which applies to the subject of Linux graphics devs.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

It's written in the article:
                    Reading comprehension? It is written, but it is a description of the previous, SYNC behaviour that this ASYNC implementation was made to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Wayland users are more like: whoot, you only get this now and it introduces tearing (i.e. is rather trade-off than a clean solution)? Well, if you look for a clean solution for the problem - you know where to find it

Edit: still a nice addition, hope users wanting to use it won't have to wait too long for a release.
                      1. It's talking about when you have an unredirected fullscreen window on one monitor. (i.e. under X11, the "bypass compositor" feature that lets a game get OpenGL/Vulkan direct-to-monitor for performance) That's a common "you only got this now?" thing for X11 to say to Wayland.
                      2. It's a configuration setting that means "If monitors are configured to have differing refresh rates and a whole-desktop sync-to-vblank has been requested, prefer tearing on the secondary monitors over waiting for all vblanks to report in."
                      I'm not sure how much more prone to needing the "whole-desktop sync-to-vblank has been requested" situation X11 is, but, if you ask for that (eg. for a display wall), then a Wayland compositor can't magically do something like forcing a 60Hz monitor to speed up to keep pace with a 144Hz monitor.
                      Last edited by ssokolow; 09 September 2021, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X