Adam Jackson On The State Of The X.Org Server In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by calc View Post
    So who wants to run untrusted binaries on their system in the first place?
    everyone running proprietary apps?

Comment

• Is there a list of native Wayland apps and desktop environment?

Comment

• Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
        The fact that X11 eventually consolidated to a single strong implementation is the point here, so we are now repeating 30 years of bad history?
        don't cry, wayland will also consolidate to gnome
        Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
        KMS/ DRM and GBM is the wrong abstraction to use because its Linux specific and low level, thats the whole problem and thats the duplication that is being talked about. None of the desktop compositors should even be talking to KMS/DRM and GBM.
        gbm is mesa specific. i hear nvidiot talk
        I don't know if you realize but there are other OS's out there that aren't Linux that would want to use Wayland, i.e. BSD's (and maybe ReactOS if it ever picks up). This means that Gnome/KDE etc etc have to create platform specific implementations for those OS's if they decide to use Wayland.
        since they are using linux videodrivers and mesa, they'll be fine with gbm. and btw, why we should use novideo-specific api instead? because novideo wants to turn it into standard? feel free to turn gbm into standard.
        Ontop of this, even if we get your mentioned workarounds working for Wayland, there are compositors out there like Sway which won't work by default if you have the blob installed (regardless if you are even using NVidia for compositing/rendering, i.e. Sway will fail to run if you are only using the blob for CUDA).
        don't install blobs or learn to use containers for proprietary shit
        So as you stated before, this approach also doesn't work with out of kernel drivers that don't use KMS/DRM/GBM without significant hacks (none of which work right now) and this is regardless of your philosophical views on the subject.
        it's self-inflicted pain. move your shitty driver into kernel and use kms/drm/gbm
        This kind of shit shouldn't even be handled by the compositor, you even admitted yourself its compositor specific. Right now Steam VR works with X11 fine
        right now keyloggers work with x11 fine
        Its going to be bloody retarded using Steam VR with Wayland if your specific compositor happened to implement it incorrectly.
        just as you learned to use one best x11 implementation, you'll learn to use best wayland implementation
        Every compositor doing their own window management work is fine because it actually does differ, i.e. managing windows in a tiling WM is different to a traditional one like KWin, so by definition its not really duplication.

I am talking about the duplication of talking to GBM/DRM/KMS which really is duplication if you have a look at the relevant code in the different compositors.
        you can talk to it very differently, different projects do things differently with different results, just like with window managing. and you completely ignored example of different x11 servers
        Uh, this is fuken so wrong. Usage of Wayland is ~7% from what I last checked
        how did you measure that?
        , in reality almost no one uses wayland
        in reality almost no one changes defaults and default is wayland
        (and literally anyone with a newer NVidia GPU doesn't use Wayland because of the large amount of bugs there).
        again in reality outside of imaginary worlds of nvidiots novideo gpu users are minority. (in case it's not clear, there are more amd gpu users than novideo gpu users and there are more intel gpu users than novideo gpu users)
        Almost every major distro out there with significant market share (ergo Ubuntu but also OpenSuse/Manjaro) default to X11.
        ubuntu had wayland default already and will have it again
        If everyone used Wayland we wouldn't be even having this discussion.
        if that were true we wouldn't be having systemd discussions

Comment

• Originally posted by ferry View Post
          I highly doubt that a significant amount of people is using wayland already.
          several people at my home are using wayland without knowing what it is. it just works
          Originally posted by ferry View Post
          I didn't say I have issues with kde, I said you can switch to wayland easily with kde. Certain applications (not kde) have issues when using wayland.
          when using broken kde wayland implementation

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
            If Wayland is a better answer than the X Window System, and there is a large amount of valid criticism of Wayland
            wayland is x window system version 12 and if you start with arbitrary claims you could reach arbitrary conclusions

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              wayland is x window system version 12[citation needed] and if you start with arbitrary claims you could reach arbitrary conclusions
              'Premise A AND Premise B' is only true if both Premise A and Premise B are true.

Comment

'Premise A AND Premise B' is only true if both Premise A and Premise B are true.
                it was two separate comments to two separate parts of your sentence. the confusion of what wayland is and confusion of clueless wayland criticism with valid wayland criticism. what citations do you need: that wayland is successor to x11 or that successor to x11 is what x12 means?

Comment

• wayland is X12, period.

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    yes. it's default, most people just use defaults
                    How blinkered can one be? would be the question.
                    Last edited by Mez'; 30 October 2020, 07:58 AM.

Comment

XWayland is not useless if it addresses use-cases that are not directly addressed by Wayland per se. You don't persuade people to try something new by telling them what they are used to using every day is useless, as they do not find it so, and you lose credibility.

While you may regard 'the project' to be purging the X Windows System from Linux, the way to do so is to show people how to do the things they say they need using Wayland instead of X; not by being unnecessarily combative. If you are appropriately humble, you might discover previously unrecognised use cases, and participate in developing needed functionality.

The Wayland ecosystem is not finished yet. It never will be. If you help to polish it, more people will be enthused to use it, and become positively engaged. Abusing people is rarely a good method of persuading them to your point of view.
                      Whatever some cultists believe (probably developer-oriented rather than user-oriented), this is indeed what actually happens.
                      It's also why the moment wayland gets out of the one use case Fedora cocoon, and gets exposed to all sorts of workflows/use cases, it leaks from all sides and drowns.
                      And it's a good thing, that's how it's going to improve and be ready in a couple of years for real users (and not for blinkered early adopters).

Comment

Working...
                      X