Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.11 To Bring Early Bits Around DisplayPort 2.0, Orphans The Frame-Buffer Layer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.11 To Bring Early Bits Around DisplayPort 2.0, Orphans The Frame-Buffer Layer

Phoronix: Linux 5.11 To Bring Early Bits Around DisplayPort 2.0, Orphans The Frame-Buffer Layer

While Linux 5.10-rc1 was just released two days ago, the first pull request to DRM-Next of various changes was submitted today in beginning to stage material for inclusion with next year's Linux 5.11 kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

orphaning the fb layer is mostly a joke. A lot of last gen stuff and vintage stuff only support that, a lot support will be lost if that goes away. I don't see FB be deleted for more than a decade to come. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3bZoF-nBw8

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      orphaning the fb layer is mostly a joke. A lot of last gen stuff and vintage stuff only support that, a lot support will be lost if that goes away. I don't see FB be deleted for more than a decade to come. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3bZoF-nBw8
      It's likely the framebuffer is just so simple and stable that there's no need for maintenance beyond what the individual developers sporadically contribute.

Comment

The start of DP 2.0 support (77.37 Gbps - 1st to achieve 8k@60Hz with full color 4:4:4 resolution, 10k@60Hz 8 bit color or 3x 4k@90Hz via one cable - and with DSC up to 16k@60Hz or 2x 8k@60Hz with 10 bit via one cable) is very important news.

Most people are not aware that 4k means the resolution of a Din A4 page with 300 dpi, i.e. by a LASER printer of 1990 - and thus rather suited for pre-print process.
        With DP2.0 ready we may see 8k (7680x4320 pix) TVs and displays in 2nd half of 2021 ...

For those claiming digital school or university: this would still be a lie. It needs more than 16k (15360x8460 pix) to compete with the regular black boards.
        So this is the start for digital devices to be comparable to old analogue devices ... and it will last some time till digital devices are better than analogue devices.
        THUS this is a groundbreaking situation which is about to start ...

Yes, those fullHD gamers using 144 Hz may not get it ...
        But if people are working on image analysis (astronomy, medicine, material sciences etc.), CAD/CAE, the digital procedures get some kind of adult status now ...

For people interested in 3d: this will give a leap when resolutions get a lot higher ... virtual reality will really mean something with much higher resolution than 4k.

And for such resolutions size matters - no tiny displays possible to get an impressive view - or an overview concerning lectures/schooling.
        Thus new display technologies will soon emerge more similar to wallpaper than the current display - I would assume.
        Last edited by JMB9; 27 October 2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          Orphan in the Maintainers context means "No current maintainer". Someone else can come along and maintain it if they wish. In the short term. It isn't the same as deprecating it (although that might happen in the future if there are problems with the code that don't get addressed).

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
            The start of DP 2.0 support (77.37 Gbps - 1st to achieve 8k@60Hz with full color 4:4:4 resolution, 10k@60Hz 8 bit color or 3x 4k@90Hz via one cable - and with DSC up to 16k@60Hz or 2x 8k@60Hz with 10 bit via one cable) is very important news.
            Nice numbers, but it would be even better if they dropped the part of the spec that results in windows relocating to other monitors when you turn devices off and on independently in a multimonitor and/or KVM setup. This really sucks and DVI-D didn't do it.

Comment

Well, from my point of view in a non-mirror situation (i.e. spanning one desktop about several screens)
              switching a monitor off means to relocate the windows as this part of the screen is no longer there.
              Causes a lot of problems when doing this differently (I experience this in a mirror usage when
              the stupid defaults thing that 31.5" and 55" displays (both 4k) can be paired to one display ...
              really strange).
              But from my point of view this is the window manager/DE and not something having to do with
              Display Port - let alone the version of this.

Have not seen anything reasonable for a while using DVI-D - DVI is former century - this should be
              basically dead (announcement of Intel and AMD to stop supporting VGA, DVI-A, and DVI-I date back
              to 2013/2015) - and HDMI is a real burden ... plugs won't last long and had only been for TVs etc. -
              not for expensive (i.e. high quality) screens.

But the killer argument of cause is that all graphic card vendors support most features with DP
              (I think this is true for dGPUs by Nvidia and AMD) ...
              So no question which interface is to be used to connect a screen to a real workstation.

Comment

Working...
              X