Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Linux Graphics Driver Bugs Do You Hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Linux Graphics Driver Bugs Do You Hate?

Phoronix: Which Linux Graphics Driver Bugs Do You Hate?

This week we received a note from Matthias Dahl, a Phoronix reader, who wanted to remind us about current problems plaguing the NVIDIA 180.xx driver series. Using any of the newer NVIDIA Linux drivers can cause graphics corruption followed by the system locking up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, I consider myself lucky then - 8600gt here and it's all working out just fine.

No real driver bugs either, save for S2 getting a drop in fps sometimes after switching focus. But I can't complain - it's 1% of the linux games that has the basic capability to alt+tab in fullscreen.

Comment

I noticed this bug too on Ubuntu. But when I switched to ArchLinux, the problem didn't occur any-more. Maybe it has to do with Ubuntu.

By the way, I've just registered, this is my first message. Long live to Phoronix !

Comment

Oh, X freezes up every once in a while and I have to Ctrl+Alt+Backspace..
        Aside from that it's hard to know which packages bugs I encounter are actually in; I don't know how polished compiz is right now.. I'm just looking forward to nouveau maturing so when a problem does show up, I know what the heck is going on.

Third party proprietary drivers are a huge part of the reason Windows sucks so hard, but they'll affect any system that depends on them, really, and it makes me sad to see that be the case..

Comment

7300GS, 8800GT's, 9600GT, and 8600GT no issues here on openSUSE 11.1. At work, 8200/8300 chipsets and some 7600GT's, running combo of Bluewhite and opensuse 11.1/11.0 and not one report of lock up there (50+ stations all using nvidia chipset boards).

Comment

The absence of VTs.
            The absence of kernel panic notifications.
            The absence of monitor hot-plugging.

Proprietary NVIDIA driver, obviously.

Comment

I haven't had many bugs to complain about, more just lack of features. But then... I stopped using nVidia a long, long time ago.

Comment

I haven't had problems with the latest drivers in my 8500GT, the annoying 2D acceleration issues were resolved starting with the 180.xx drivers, so I'm happy overall.

I'm using Xubuntu 8.10, but with a custom-compiled 2.6.28 kernel.

Comment

The bug that I hate the most is tearing. I see it on videos (with or without Compiz enabled) with my intel 4500MHD. It makes watching video useless on Ubuntu for the moment.
                  The worst part is I also have an ATI 3650HD on my laptop, which show the exact same problem with the fglrx driver.

I don't know maybe I should have bought a laptop with an Nvidia card , well maybe in a few months this problem will be history (either with the intel driver or maybe the radeonhd driver).

Comment

with NVIDIA drivers i've had stability issues with my 8600GTS but not many of my other cards. with fglrx i've had tearing problems and unusable video for a year on my 2600xt. Till recently the 2600xt had unusable video with radeonhd since it didnt have xvideo support for r600 chips.

sadly the graphics cards that work best are a number of GMA950 based machines (mac mini, acer aspire one) and one ati rs200 based laptop. One uses the open source intel drivers and the other has used the open source ati drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X