Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S3 Graphics Releases Linux Driver With OpenGL 3.0, VA-API

Phoronix: S3 Graphics Releases Linux Driver With OpenGL 3.0, VA-API

For months we have seen S3 Graphics advertise a magical Linux driver in their press releases that promised to offer OpenGL 3.0 support and advanced video functionality. They had reported to us the driver would be released in December, but that deadline had passed and they continued to announce Linux support when launching the Chrome 540 GTX, but still there was nothing. However, S3 Graphics has now actually delivered such a driver! They have delivered a Chrome 500 series Linux driver that not only provides OpenGL 3.0 support but also H.264, VC-1, and MPEG-2 hardware decoding on the GPU. While it may appear to be good, this driver is still far from perfect.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

damn, even S3 is pwn'ing ATi

Comment

I guess nobody really tested that card with Linux yet. The drivers are 32 bit only and contain a binary blob for the kernel module. So they have to change the licence for it to S3 or whatever - at least not GPL.

Comment

All the same...

Where is the flying pig picture?

Comment

What's happen ATI ?

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
            damn, even S3 is pwn'ing ATi
            fglrx isn't the greatest, but if you really believe S3's drivers are better, then I've got some ocean-front property in Bolivia I'd like to sell you.

Or maybe you're just a frustrated ATI customer that wanted to take a shot at ATI...

Comment

I seriously think that any claims by s3 at this point should be taken with a grain of salt. The fact that their decidedly closed-source driver modules report themselves as GPL ought to tell you something.

If there's someone with a Chrome 500 who can test this driver, *then* maybe we can find out how well it actually works and what its actual capabilities are.

Comment

Who makes gfx cards based S3 chips? I wanna try.

Comment

I hope that soon enough, you'll be able to test the driver, and the hardware on Linux, Michael. I'd really be interested in seeing how well it performs, how does it compare to the earlier tests you ran on cheap hardware and nVidia GFX with VDPAU and how well does it do 3D compared to Intel, nVidia and ATi (on reasonably similar hardware... Do we even know how many stream processors the 500 series pack or if it has a vertex engine? How about memory interface, etc?)

Comment

S3 is already violating the GPL by distributing the binary without the source. They obviously need to claim it's GPL in order to use Linux's GPL'ed symbols. So now it's up to someone who owns copyright to the Linux kernel to sue their behind.

Comment

Working...
                    X