No announcement yet.

DMA-BUF HEAPS Coming To Linux 5.6, Poulsbo Pops Back Up To Get Page-Flipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMA-BUF HEAPS Coming To Linux 5.6, Poulsbo Pops Back Up To Get Page-Flipping

Phoronix: DMA-BUF HEAPS Coming To Linux 5.6, Poulsbo Pops Back Up To Get Page-Flipping

More Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) material is queuing ahead of the Linux 5.6 kernel cycle in early 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Poulsbo, are you trying to give me nightmares?

Comment

I wonder if anyone will ever implement OpenGL support for GMA500 in Linux, this hardware was abandoned by Intel even on Windows six years ago.

Comment

I wonder who pays for this work. That hardware is totally obsolete: "Poulsbo is the codename of the first SCH and plays a key role in Intel's second-generation Menlow UMPC and MID platform chipset for Atom Silverthorne microprocessors." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System...er_Hub#Poulsbo

Some of those systems only come with 512 MB of RAM.
        Last edited by caligula; 06 January 2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          I wonder who pays for this work. That hardware is totally obsolete: "Poulsbo is the codename of the first SCH and plays a key role in Intel's second-generation Menlow UMPC and MID platform chipset for Atom Silverthorne microprocessors." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System...er_Hub#Poulsbo

Some of those systems only come with 512 MB of RAM.
          That would be me, I unfortunately ended up having to support an embedded legacy board based on the Cedarview/gma3650 chipset, replacing the hardware was not a viable option due to there being too many boards already deployed to replace, in addition the board is a specialty embedded board with a very large number of serial ports and a small form factor making even finding a viable replacement very difficult/expensive. The particular board I'm working with is some of the fastest hardware available that still uses the gma500 driver, it has the 64 bit Atom D2550 with 4GB of ram which is more than fast enough for my use case. I will add that Bootlin has been great to work with on getting page flip support added to the mainline kernel.

Comment

Working...
          X