Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QEMU's Assortment Of Virtual VGA/GPU Options & What To Pick For Desktop Virtualization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU's Assortment Of Virtual VGA/GPU Options & What To Pick For Desktop Virtualization

Phoronix: QEMU's Assortment Of Virtual VGA/GPU Options & What To Pick For Desktop Virtualization

The virtual GPU/display landscape particularly for having accelerated guest graphics was once non-existent and then suffering for the open-source Linux virtualization stack around QEMU, but that is no longer the case. There are options these days to rival the GPU/display offerings of VirtualBox and VMware albeit to newcomers may not be so clear...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it possible to use -vga virtio (with OpenGL acceleration) outside X?

Also, there is a typo. Guest please find it.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 30 September 2019, 01:07 AM.

Comment

I assume there's still no way of getting virgl set up in virt-manager?

Comment

Why isn't -vga virtio the default?

Comment

Typo:
          Cirrua VGA

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Is it possible to use -vga virtio (with OpenGL acceleration) outside X?
            Proxmox does support running Virtio-GPU for a VM and then accessing that display via the web interface as noVNC HTML5. Pretty sure there's no X involved on the host then, but I haven't tested if any form of acceleration is available that way.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
              I assume there's still no way of getting virgl set up in virt-manager?
              Why? It is pretty trivial, just select virtio device and click 3D acceleration checkbox.

Comment

Originally posted by pkunk View Post

Why? It is pretty trivial, just select virtio device and click 3D acceleration checkbox.
                Last time I tried, it only worked with a "QEMU/KVM user session" - and that removes some other things that I need ( networking options, for example ).

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Last time I tried, it only worked with a "QEMU/KVM user session" - and that removes some other things that I need ( networking options, for example ).
                  Never tried system session, but on user session it work pretty fine for me.
                  Edit: Also I use Q35 and PCIe if it makes any difference.
                  Last edited by pkunk; 30 September 2019, 05:05 AM.

Comment

I was using QXL for windows, and got quite some comments below the video that people where impressed by the performance, two years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyclA-_M-aA

Comment

Working...
                    X