Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QEMU's Assortment Of Virtual VGA/GPU Options & What To Pick For Desktop Virtualization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • QEMU's Assortment Of Virtual VGA/GPU Options & What To Pick For Desktop Virtualization

    Phoronix: QEMU's Assortment Of Virtual VGA/GPU Options & What To Pick For Desktop Virtualization

    The virtual GPU/display landscape particularly for having accelerated guest graphics was once non-existent and then suffering for the open-source Linux virtualization stack around QEMU, but that is no longer the case. There are options these days to rival the GPU/display offerings of VirtualBox and VMware albeit to newcomers may not be so clear...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...GA-GPU-Options

  • #2
    Is it possible to use -vga virtio (with OpenGL acceleration) outside X?

    Also, there is a typo. slayerizer please find it.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 09-30-2019, 01:07 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I assume there's still no way of getting virgl set up in virt-manager?

      Comment


      • #4
        Why isn't -vga virtio the default?

        Comment


        • #5
          Typo:
          Cirrua VGA

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Is it possible to use -vga virtio (with OpenGL acceleration) outside X?
            Proxmox does support running Virtio-GPU for a VM and then accessing that display via the web interface as noVNC HTML5. Pretty sure there's no X involved on the host then, but I haven't tested if any form of acceleration is available that way.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dkasak View Post
              I assume there's still no way of getting virgl set up in virt-manager?
              Why? It is pretty trivial, just select virtio device and click 3D acceleration checkbox.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pkunk View Post

                Why? It is pretty trivial, just select virtio device and click 3D acceleration checkbox.
                Last time I tried, it only worked with a "QEMU/KVM user session" - and that removes some other things that I need ( networking options, for example ).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dkasak View Post

                  Last time I tried, it only worked with a "QEMU/KVM user session" - and that removes some other things that I need ( networking options, for example ).
                  Never tried system session, but on user session it work pretty fine for me.
                  Edit: Also I use Q35 and PCIe if it makes any difference.
                  Last edited by pkunk; 09-30-2019, 05:05 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I was using QXL for windows, and got quite some comments below the video that people where impressed by the performance, two years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyclA-_M-aA

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X