The Massive DRM Pull Request With AMDGPU Navi Support Sent In For Linux 5.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Massive DRM Pull Request With AMDGPU Navi Support Sent In For Linux 5.3

Phoronix: The Massive DRM Pull Request With AMDGPU Navi Support Sent In For Linux 5.3

At 479,818 lines of new code and just 36,145 lines of code removed while touching nearly two thousand files, the Direct Rendering Manger (DRM) driver updates for Linux 5.3 are huge. But a big portion of that line count is the addition of AMD Radeon RX 5000 "Navi" support and a good portion of that in turn being auto-generated header files. Navi support is ready for the mainline Linux kernel!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool! I'll probably be testing this out soon since I have an RX 5700 xt waiting to be utilized in Linux.

Comment

Regarding ”working towards supporting High Dynamic Range displays”, does it look like there could be out of the box sopport for freesync 2 hdr in some autumn distro releases?

Comment

Navi is really good, for once a nice surprise from AMD.
        Wonder if AMD is willing to switch to ACO since it looks to have a bit better performance although is new.

Comment

It this megre with or without

AMD Posts 459 Linux Kernel Patches Providing Navi Support - 412k+ Lines Of Code On 17 June 2019
          https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x-Kernel-Patch

?

15 July 2019 at 07:23 AM EDT

At 479,818 lines of new code and just 36,145 lines of code removed while touching nearly two thousand files,
          Make me not sure, It is 443 thousands LOC

especially when
          AMDGPU & RadeonSI Linux Drivers See More Navi Optimizations + Fixes
          on 10 July 2019
          https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...onSI-More-Opts

Is it too much compared t o another kernel subsystems

Statistics from the 5.2 kernel — and before

By Jonathan Corbet
          June 21, 2019

1,716 developers contributed changes for the 5.2 kernel, 245 of whom made their first contribution during this cycle. Those 1,716 developers removed nearly 490,000 lines of code, which is a lot, but the addition of 596,000 new lines of codemeans that the kernel still grew by 106,000 lines.OK
          Last edited by Peter Fodrek; 15 July 2019, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post
            It this megre with or without

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

?

Make me not sure, It is 443 thousands LOC

especially when

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...onSI-More-Opts
            It includes all the Navi changes plus all the other DRM subsystem work... Hence the higher line count.

RadeonSI changes meanwhile are in Mesa, not the kernel.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's nice to see how Amd is working well with Linux, let's hope it's an example.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It includes all the Navi changes plus all the other DRM subsystem work... Hence the higher line count.
                thank you

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                RadeonSI changes meanwhile are in Mesa, not the kernel

I know it but there were additional AMDGPU changes as I can see that article as of title
                AMDGPU & RadeonSI Linux Drivers See More Navi Optimizations + Fixes

Comment

Nice to see all the ARM improvements. Everything that makes an out-of-the-box installation easier on ARM is a huge plus.

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                  It's nice to see how Amd is working well with Linux, let's hope it's an example.
                  I would argue Intel made for a better example long before AMD. This is coming from someone with 3x all-AMD PCs, so I'm not shilling here.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Nice to see all the ARM improvements. Everything that makes an out-of-the-box installation easier on ARM is a huge plus.

I would argue Intel made for a better example long before AMD. This is coming from someone with 3x all-AMD PCs, so I'm not shilling here.
                    I didn't mention Intel because at that moment I was thinking more about gpu (video cards), since I will have to contract one. However, I think this is the right path and Intel and Amd are right to use it.

Comment

Working...
                    X