No announcement yet.

The Big DRM Graphics Driver Pull Request Has Been Submitted For Linux 4.20~5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big DRM Graphics Driver Pull Request Has Been Submitted For Linux 4.20~5.0

Phoronix: The Big DRM Graphics Driver Pull Request Has Been Submitted For Linux 4.20~5.0

David Airlie has submitted the main feature pull request of the plethora of Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) enhancements for the next kernel release that includes a lot of Intel and AMD Radeon graphics driver work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now hang on a minute... Wasn't Vega 20 supposed to come out towards the end of this year? Because I just went an checked so they've either delayed it or then Michael is mixing up the launch date with the 7nm Zen2-based Epyc CPUs that are supposed to come out in the first quarter of next year.

Don't get me wrong, at $10.000 per wafer with TSMC's 7nm process and a big chip it probably makes financial sense to delay the launch into next year when costs will have come down, but I can't recall reading about a delay to Vega 20.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      Now hang on a minute... Wasn't Vega 20 supposed to come out towards the end of this year? Because I just went an checked so they've either delayed it or then Michael is mixing up the launch date with the 7nm Zen2-based Epyc CPUs that are supposed to come out in the first quarter of next year.

Don't get me wrong, at $10.000 per wafer with TSMC's 7nm process and a big chip it probably makes financial sense to delay the launch into next year when costs will have come down, but I can't recall reading about a delay to Vega 20.
      Originally they anticipated it to launch by the end of 2018.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Originally they anticipated it to launch by the end of 2018.
        Wasn't it Navi that was delayed into 2019? Because with a quick google search I can't find any news stories indicating that Vega 20 has actually been delayed into 2019 from the "2H 2018" window AMD themselves presented last summer.

Not that AMD has never had to delay graphics chips... I mean they barely made the Q2 2017 launch for Vega 10 with what could only be described as barely more than a paper launch.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          As part of the Vega 20 support is alos the new

Comment

All praise alos. We alos do not see a typo but a glorious inception.

Comment

Unluckily, the mean-time-between-amdgpu-crashes has still not increased, with < 48 hours of run-time it is (for me at least) still substantially lower than it was with linux-4.13 a long time ago. And still way-too-low to power systems that I need to rely upon for serious work. I really hate it that I have to put more money into Intel CPUs only to get iGPUs that I can reliably work with :-(

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                Unluckily, the mean-time-between-amdgpu-crashes has still not increased, with < 48 hours of run-time it is (for me at least) still substantially lower than it was with linux-4.13 a long time ago. And still way-too-low to power systems that I need to rely upon for serious work. I really hate it that I have to put more money into Intel CPUs only to get iGPUs that I can reliably work with :-(
                Perhaps open a bug report for them on freedesktop.org to help investigate what the problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                  Perhaps open a bug report for them on freedesktop.org to help investigate what the problem is.
                  Of course I did this, several times, starting more than a year ago:

(I experienced several more bugs, a few were even fixed, but at some point I stopped reporting less severe symptoms, as fixing them really does not help the overall situation of instability, and might only distract attention from the show-stoppers.)

Comment

Working...
                  X