Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carewolf
    replied
    So, no HDR support yet? I guess it still just a few unimplemented proposals.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
    Hopefully they never will... And we get Wayland instead...
    Who are we? Wayland is not for everybody, i even think distros who ship it by default will require Photosensitive Seizure Warning during boot since it forces compositor

Of course that warning will also slow down boot time, as it would be required at least 10 seconds sleep for average IQ Joe to be able to read it I am even more for total stop of boot with concrete input Yes/No buttons, so if user does not agree to be able to turn computer off properly
    Last edited by dungeon; 03 May 2018, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied

You want those features ESPECIALLY if you are going to use Wayland, because of XWayland...

Leave a comment:

• Palu Macil
    replied
    Meanwhile, i'm sitting here, waiting for Wayland.
    I assume this will be soon followed by 3 people posting that they've been using Wayland for a long time now. They will be followed by two more people complaining about how if anything in Wayland crashes it takes Wayland down with it. I don't know enough to want to try Wayland till the arguments subside in a few more years (Ubuntu 20.04 I'm thinking).

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

This. Those feature will take YEARS to reach an LTS. Such a shame.

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Meanwhile, i'm sitting here, waiting for Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Hopefully Michael would soon write also "The Shiny Breakages Of X.Org Server 1.20"

I am sure this would need a good amount of point releases, so that average Joe could be happy with it

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
    Does anyone know why they accumulate so many features in a 1-2 year release cycle instead of doing more intermediate releases? Just curious.
    This. Those feature will take YEARS to reach an LTS. Such a shame.

Leave a comment:

• cybertraveler
    replied
    That's a really nice set of improvements. Thanks for the summary Michael.

Leave a comment:

• newwen
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray54 View Post
    I am really rather confused where both the X11 (can I still call it that) and Wayland strategy is going. I have NVidia cards on my 6 Linux machines, so I think I am currently tied into X11. Also, I have used Unix for many years and used to like setring the DISPLAY environmental variable to send my output to another screen for debugging, etc. However, I can see that Wayland has much better security and gets rid of now redundant X11 features. So can someone please point me to an up-to-date Web article that explains the grand plan for both X11 and Wayland going forward.
    I have the understanding that Wayland compositors support setting the DISPLAY enviroment variable for commands running in Xwayland, and there is an equivalent WAYLAND_DISPLAY.
    Last edited by newwen; 03 May 2018, 09:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X