Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shiny New Features Of X.Org Server 1.20

Phoronix: The Shiny New Features Of X.Org Server 1.20

With the release of the long-awaited X.Org Server 1.20 finally being imminent, here is a look at the many features that were merged over the past year and a half for this long drawn out release process. While more of the Linux desktop continues moving towards Wayland, X.Org Server continues evolving as shown by the 1.20 release and as part of that is also plenty on the XWayland side...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, this sound really good. I'm especially excited whether this improves gaming performance under xwayland

Comment

Nice, there are a couple of features for remote desktop use that keep me from going Wayland. Besides, aside from security POV, Wayland did not improve my DE experience, quite the contrary, the last time I tried, it was not on par with X stability.

Comment

There's also a long-awaited fix for downscaling the screen with XRandR. It previously trapped the mouse pointer in a corner of the screen unless you also adjusted the panning.

Comment

Are any improvements for the Nvidia Xorg (not XWayland) performance to be expected?

Comment

Does anyone know why they accumulate so many features in a 1-2 year release cycle instead of doing more intermediate releases? Just curious.

Comment

I am really rather confused where both the X11 (can I still call it that) and Wayland strategy is going. I have NVidia cards on my 6 Linux machines, so I think I am currently tied into X11. Also, I have used Unix for many years and used to like setring the DISPLAY environmental variable to send my output to another screen for debugging, etc. However, I can see that Wayland has much better security and gets rid of now redundant X11 features. So can someone please point me to an up-to-date Web article that explains the grand plan for both X11 and Wayland going forward.

Comment

All I want is the ability to hot add and remove a GPU and a screen. Hopefully this allows it to happen. I have an E-GPU which I connect via thunderbolt 3/USB-C. I'd like to connect it, and not have to restart X11 anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray54 View Post
                  I am really rather confused where both the X11 (can I still call it that) and Wayland strategy is going. I have NVidia cards on my 6 Linux machines, so I think I am currently tied into X11. Also, I have used Unix for many years and used to like setring the DISPLAY environmental variable to send my output to another screen for debugging, etc. However, I can see that Wayland has much better security and gets rid of now redundant X11 features. So can someone please point me to an up-to-date Web article that explains the grand plan for both X11 and Wayland going forward.
                  I have the understanding that Wayland compositors support setting the DISPLAY enviroment variable for commands running in Xwayland, and there is an equivalent WAYLAND_DISPLAY.
                  Last edited by newwen; 03 May 2018, 09:22 AM.

Comment

That's a really nice set of improvements. Thanks for the summary Michael.

Comment

Working...
                    X