DisplayLink DRM Driver Had A Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Razican View Post
    True, many logic bugs are not avoided, but since Rust uses exhaustive pattern matching and favors iterators, it can avoid some logic bugs. Nevertheless, my comment about bugs that could be avoided was related to about 70% of the kernel security bugs in 2016 being off-by-one, double frees, data races and segmentation faults.
    Hey, you won't see me disagreeing. I'm a big fan of Rust. I'm just trying to be realistic about what Rust is vs. what so many less rational fanboys seem to think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      Actually, the cheap USB3 to VGA/HDMI adapters are nowadays based on FL2000 chipset which is interesting in its own regard.
      Oh, that sounds very interesting indeed. Seems like they also code-dropped the kernel driver. https://github.com/FrescoLogic/FL2000
      And it seems like a guy I've seen also contribute on other things in OpenWrt is giving a go at making a driver out of that https://github.com/FrescoLogic/FL2000/issues/16

I really hope this gets somewhere, since the SiS based stuff went out of production there isn't much out there that can fill the same niche.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        I think the operative word here was "proprietary". There is a driver which x86/amd64 only and works with a limited range of kernel releases.
        The kernel part is "open". It's actually just a shim for user space drm. The user space driver is indeed proprietary and x86/amd64 only.
        That really is great if 99% of my target is arm :-).
        Of course I might try to just run qemu be able to drive it 8-D.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
          The kernel part is "open". It's actually just a shim for user space drm. The user space driver is indeed proprietary and x86/amd64 only.
          That really is great if 99% of my target is arm :-).
          Of course I might try to just run qemu be able to drive it 8-D.
          Lol you are too demanding. It's already great that it isn't an embedded-grade blob driver that has no shim at all (and therefore locks you to a specific kernel version).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Lol you are too demanding. It's already great that it isn't an embedded-grade blob driver that has no shim at all (and therefore locks you to a specific kernel version).
            Reminds me of why the OpenPandora and DragonBox Pyra use OMAP3 and OMAP5 CPUs, respectively: The SGX GPU drivers have the same kind of kernel-upgrade-friendly "open-source kernelspace shim, closed userspace blob" configuration.

Comment

Working...
            X