No announcement yet.

Atomic Mode-Setting Support For Wayland's Weston Might Finally Be Ready To Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atomic Mode-Setting Support For Wayland's Weston Might Finally Be Ready To Land

Phoronix: Atomic Mode-Setting Support For Wayland's Weston Might Finally Be Ready To Land

After going through fourteen rounds of patch revisions, Daniel Stone of Collabora might be ready to land his 40+ patches implementing atomic mode-setting support within Weston...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great. Hope this code finds its way into other Wayland compositors.

Comment

Nice!

Would also be nice if there was a setting to move the dock from the top to the bottom of the screen.

Comment

Question: Why is Collabora spending this developer time on improving Weston (especially in this pretty unimportant use-case)? Isn't it just a proof-of-concept compositor?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          Question: Why is Collabora spending this developer time on improving Weston (especially in this pretty unimportant use-case)? Isn't it just a proof-of-concept compositor?
          No, Weston is the reference implementation on Wayland window managers, so it's pretty important.

Comment

Well I think it is pretty important, seeing as I use it every day. I've thought about trying Sway or one of the others, but for now Weston is working for me and I don't really have the motivation to change.

Comment

Isn't a prerequisite for something to land in wayland-protocols to have an implementation on weston? If so, that should explain the importance of weston

Comment

Three are a few reasons why Weston is important. The modifications are in libweston this is kind of important you can think if this as staging ground for features that end up in libwayland-server that is shared between many compositors. Weston the reference implementation used in wayland project automated testing.

Also if the feature could not be made work with weston that is a simple compositor heaven help you doing it with a more complex compositor.

Comment

Working...
                X