GTK Adds Support For KDE's Server-Side Decorations On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Thing you are missing is one of those blocker will be solved by the Android port. Being how to run on EGL.

Wine under android where you are using EGL as you would have to as native Wayland applications makes the can of worm problems of Xwayland look minor.
    OK. I suppose I'll watch Android / EGL progress then as a prerequsite to Wayland one.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
      Nice to see Gnome playing nice with KDE. Hopefully they're trying to change the bad rep they got for not collaborating with others.
      Or maybe just a few developers who are actually nice and competent. I does happen, just like the opposite happens.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Yes, but they didn't think of other approaches so far, or of ways to match / extend Wayland protocols in a way that suits Wine, but fits Wayland security approach. It surely requires some approach change on Wine's side and probably is far from trivial.
        They said Wayland crew said it would violate ther isecurity concerns. I suggested on winehq forum for them to approach all composer projects and agree on some composer extension.
        So far, there was no answer to that.

Comment

The video here says it wayland is for future wine.
          http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ly-D3D12-Plans

The prototype works as long as you don't want windows management with wine. Of course that is the developer working on the Android driver.
          Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

They said Wayland crew said it would violate ther isecurity concerns. I suggested on winehq forum for them to approach all composer projects and agree on some composer extension.
          So far, there was no answer to that.
          Really that game play is unlikely to work ever. Lot of wayland composers to reduce workload are using libwayland-server. So asking them to implement some extension not at least on the wayland unstable list of features is basically out the question as this would mean them having to take care of extra code outside of libwayland-server.

So you have to design solution that addresses the security concerns of wayland project or have nothing. The simplest solution will be make wine virtual desktop work when particular existing extensions applications move from unstable wayland to stable wayland protocol.

Yes distributions and OS X dropping 32 bit support thinking most windows applications use 32 bit this is a bigger more critical problem to wine than the wayland problem. No point worrying about wayland support if wine cannot run at all. With wayland wine can still run xwayland with some issues.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
            The video here says it wayland is for future wine.
            Sounds good. I use Wine for games, so I'm not concerned about window management. And I suppose for those who need it, they'll offer virtual desktop like above.

Comment

Has anybody tinkered with this by chance? On my Antergos system, the GTK3 package has been updated to version 3.22.25. Applications that didn't have any window decoration prior now have basic window decoration (namely MPV v0.27). On the flip side, I pulled in the related GTK3 packages from Ubuntu 17.10 Proposed, bringing them up to 3.22.25, and MPV v0.27 in particular remains without window decoration. Not really sure why this difference exists, but it has me curious if anybody else has seen something similar.

Comment

Working...
              X