Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Just watch the community fork and complete their vision by 18.04

When you're a OSS company I guess rule #1 is don't piss off the community.
    What will be really funny is all the people that just follow the LTS releases trying to understand the change.....

16.04 has Ubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome
    18.04 has Ubuntu and Ubuntu Unity

I wonder how many people would have preferred the second one the entire time.....

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

What will be really funny is all the people that just follow the LTS releases trying to understand the change.....

16.04 has Ubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome
      18.04 has Ubuntu and Ubuntu Unity

I wonder how many people would have preferred the second one the entire time.....
      Hahahaha. Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
        I fail to see what exactly would Mir add by doing this that isn't already filled by the existing Wayland implementation
        Not sure what you mean by "the" existing implementation, I know or I think I know there are two ways of getting some kind of desktop or graphical session running : Gnome 3 and Weston. The latter seems to fill about the same role as a twm session running on some random X11 server. Like, someone might be running Cygwin/X with twm in a window, that doesn't do much but that's not entirely useless.

Mir-Wayland doesn't have to be better or do awesome things, though if it supports 1990s-style desktops better (e.g. porting Xfce) I welcome that.
        I think it's for people who don't want to run Gnome 3, not out of spite towards Gnome 3, but because some of us aren't very interested or don't have high end hardware (if you have good enough and/or recent enough hardware, you can run Gnome 3 on X11 anyway)
        There'll be KDE too, but that's still sometimes in the future and when done we'll have only two desktops, KDE and Gnome 3 (or Gnome 4). Sorry Enlightenment, you're niche and I hadn't success trying your thing on Xorg a few years back ; ) but I don't think your hacking harms me.

If Mir-Wayland "desktop middleware" works out and is useful, that means success for the Wayland protocol. Else Wayland would end up as some low level protocol underneath Red Hat's/Fedora's/Ubuntu main edition's Gnome 3 desktops and not much more.
        Last edited by grok; 01 July 2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X