KDE Neon Makes It Easier To Now Try Plasma On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Afaik it's done the usual GNOME way, devs set the default, and if it breaks it's up to the user to go and switch to xorg.
    But gdm uses it too. And it fallbacks automatically to Xorg on Nvidia's drivers. I don't know if there are other cases.

Comment

Afaik it's done the usual GNOME way, devs set the default, and if it breaks it's up to the user to go and switch to xorg.
      I know people love any reason to sink the boots into GNOME, but no, it falls back automatically to Xorg. So much so, I've had to check environment variables to see what session I was actually running, as the process is pretty seamless. GNOME did very well with their Wayland implementation, all things considered.

Now if they could just fix the frame rate of the Shell when zooming out to the Overview on my AMD card...

Comment

developersdevelopersdevelopersdevelopersdevelopers developersdevelopersdevelopersdevelopersdevelopers developersdevelopersdevelopers

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
          KDE Neon is a nice distribution, combines Ubuntu LTS stable and well supported base with latest KDE, it is like having Kubuntu LTS with always latest KDE, anyone using KDE should consider trying it.
          Despite the fact that KDE Neon is an awesome project, I would hesitate to promote it as a distribution to users because the team behind it mostly focuses on showcasing the best and latest in KDE technology. When it comes to the end user experience though, they obviously lack a focus on that (as they should, it's just not what they are about). The Neon project also explicitly states that "KDE Neon is not a distribution" and I take them on their word.

Let me elaborate with a case in point. In the latest versions of the KDE Applications, programs such as Kate and Dolphin have been patched to not be permitted to run under "sudo". Now, for the KDE Neon as a project this is not a problem, but from a usability perspective this is a no-no.
          A proper KDE distribution (let's say Kubuntu, Mint or Maui) is never going to allow such an obviously problematic patch to be included in their distribution (hopefully). You can't just break people's workflows like that just because some developer(s) decided that "it is not safe(?) to allow programs run under sudo".

For a proper Linux distribution the perceived cost of breaking workflows (ie having angry users flooding your forums) is much higher than the cost of "not keeping up 100% with best 'safety' practices".
          It's a "pick your poison" situation, and to me the choice is clear: If you care for your workflows, you stick with a proper distribution. KDE Neon is just a nice preview of the things "to come" when they eventually become properly implemented under a distribution that cares for the end user experience.

Comment

What does "obscure graphics cards" mean? Are they talking closed drivers? 10 year old cards? Brand new cards? Intel? Amd? Arm?

Comment

Originally posted by funkybomber View Post
              Let me elaborate with a case in point. In the latest versions of the KDE Applications, programs such as Kate and Dolphin have been patched to not be permitted to run under "sudo". Now, for the KDE Neon as a project this is not a problem, but from a usability perspective this is a no-no.
              A proper KDE distribution (let's say Kubuntu, Mint or Maui) is never going to allow such an obviously problematic patch to be included in their distribution (hopefully). You can't just break people's workflows like that just because some developer(s) decided that "it is not safe(?) to allow programs run under sudo".
              This is a decision that was decided for Wayland. If people aren't comfortable wit this, they should probably get upset about it now instead of waiting to be part of the vocal minority upset about it later like the system.d situation. This situation is probably one of the top 5 answers to the question of "Why don't we have Wayland already?". Also this another thing people blame on Gnome devs that's actually an upstream problem....

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

This is a decision that was decided for Wayland. If people aren't comfortable wit this, they should probably get upset about it now instead of waiting to be part of the vocal minority upset about it later like the system.d situation. This situation is probably one of the top 5 answers to the question of "Why don't we have Wayland already?". Also this another thing people blame on Gnome devs that's actually an upstream problem....
                Heh, it's like Windows Vista all over again. Stop allowing people to do stupid stuff, and watch the internet explode because their workflow breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
                  What does "obscure graphics cards" mean? Are they talking closed drivers? 10 year old cards? Brand new cards? Intel? Amd? Arm?
                  At least I just got a black screen only when using a QXL/spice based VM. But then, on the other hand, QXL/spice also makes lots of problems in X-based plasma ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by funkybomber View Post

Despite the fact that KDE Neon is an awesome project, I would hesitate to promote it as a distribution to users because the team behind it mostly focuses on showcasing the best and latest in KDE technology. When it comes to the end user experience though, they obviously lack a focus on that (as they should, it's just not what they are about). The Neon project also explicitly states that "KDE Neon is not a distribution" and I take them on their word.

For a proper Linux distribution the perceived cost of breaking workflows (ie having angry users flooding your forums) is much higher than the cost of "not keeping up 100% with best 'safety' practices".
                    It's a "pick your poison" situation, and to me the choice is clear: If you care for your workflows, you stick with a proper distribution. KDE Neon is just a nice preview of the things "to come" when they eventually become properly implemented under a distribution that cares for the end user experience.
                    You should NEVER run X11 application as root. It opens a local root escalation security hole that is trivial to abuse.

Comment

> You should NEVER run X11 application as root. It opens a local root escalation security hole that is trivial to abuse.

Only if you are already running malware.

You should NEVER run malware. It opens a local root escalation security hole that is trivial to abuse :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X