Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Developer Pleads The Case "Why Mir"

Phoronix: Mir Developer Pleads The Case "Why Mir"

Canonical developer Alan Griffiths has been blogging a lot in recent days about the Mir display server. He's been trying to get the community to support Mir and even potentially add native Wayland client support. His latest post is entitled "Why Mir" with many still wondering why they should care about Mir when Wayland has proven to be the tested and widely-adopted path forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is why I don't want to work as a programmer.

You literally put your soul into your work and then a manager comes and says, "It's all scrapped, we're changing direction". I wonder if programmers have ever committed suicide because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

You literally put your soul into your work and then a manager comes and says, "It's all scrapped, we're changing direction". I wonder if programmers have ever committed suicide because of this.
      programming is suicide.

Comment

The NIH is strong with this one. No wonder the whole thing went under.

birdie It's more complicated than that, but yes, you don't put your soul into it if you value your sanity.

Comment

if you want to be successful in programming, you should always assume, that you have to throw everything away, because something is fundamentally wrong. You just do it again and don't make the same mistakes.

Comment

A good programmer admits defeat on technical arguments. I have, and I have seen other people do it too. ie: "This product does what I'm trying to do, but better"

From this post Mir sounds like a half-assed solution.
            positioning tooltips without imposing a desktop style
            What? This is the job of the window manager...

Mir should be let to die. It has caused needless fragmentation and loss of manpower in the Xorg replacement race.
            Here's to hoping the eglstreams situation gets resolved quickly too.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

A good programmer admits defeat on technical arguments. I have, and I have seen other people do it too. ie: "This product does what I'm trying to do, but better"

From this post Mir sounds like a half-assed solution. What? This is the job of the window manager...
              He wasn't talking about technical merits. He was talking about the non-technical issues that a project encounters.
              Though the most maddening occurrence is not management stopping a project, it's releasing it knowing fully well it doesn't work yet. That always snowballs.

Comment

This sums it up better indeed :
                Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
                if you want to be successful in programming, you should always assume, that you have to throw everything away, because something is fundamentally wrong. You just do it again and don't make the same mistakes.

Comment

Work on a commercial open source projects and insist on working upstream. Or better: Avoid bad management but that can be near impossible.

Comment

... You literally put your soul into your work and then a manager comes and says, "It's all scrapped, we're changing direction".
                    This happens all the time and in pretty much every job I can imagine.

Comment

Working...
                    X