Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir's Abstraction Layer Now Has Cut & Paste Support (MirAL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bregma View Post
    I know there's an element of wilful ignorance involved here, but Wayland is a display server protocol, not a desktop environment (like Unity) or a even a display server (like mir).
    He just said "using Wayland", which implies switching to a wayland compositor, or running mir as a wayland compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      >I know there's an element of wilful ignorance involved here

Describes most of the world in the last few thousand years....
      fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        >I know there's an element of wilful ignorance involved here

Describes most of America right now....
        FTFY: Describes most of humanity right now....

Comment

The appropriate troll would be to assert that they will be using Gnome Shell after a couple of broken releases.
          it is implementation details. either gnome or rewrite their shit on wayland.
          Last edited by pal666; 23 March 2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Describes most of humanity right now....
            ...except those of us who can still laugh at Donald Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I feel like "most typical users" prefer a DE because it's default on their distro of choice and it's what they're used to using. Having a DE has a first priority on their distro helps adoption in multiple ways.

I don't think the lack of popularity of Ubuntu GNOME in comparison to Ubuntu (with Unity) is a good measure of "most typical users" preferring Unity.
              Furthermore, I'm assuming you mean "most typical Ubuntu users", as it seems like Mint is much more popular than Ubuntu these days.

As well, trolls aside, if they were to abandon Mir efforts, I would think it's more likely that they would change their display server to use Wayland than switch back to GNOME.
              It isn't more popular. Ubuntu dwarves pretty much every other distro in terms of the number of users.

Comment

I know there's an element of wilful ignorance involved here, but Wayland is a display server protocol, not a desktop environment (like Unity) or a even a display server (like mir).

The appropriate troll would be to assert that they will be using Gnome Shell after a couple of broken releases. Did you know Ubuntu GNOME has been a thing for a while, and still most typical users prefer Unity?
                I think GNOME Shell doesn't catch on in Ubuntu is because:

-Die-hard Unity fans don't want to give up Unity (can't say I disagree with 'em, I mean: if you love something, you'll keep using it, no matter what it is)
                -The GNOME stack is *always* behind on Ubuntu, even in the GNOME edition, which is not the worst thing in the world but it might piss off some users who want to have the full GNOME experience
                -Also related to the full GNOME experience: Ubuntu GNOME doesn't even use the full GNOME stack by default and some applications aren't even included in the repositories, requiring users to either use the GNOME 3 Team PPA (if that one still exists - been a while since I've used Ubuntu) or manual compiling (and the usually outdated GTK version might not even be recent enough for that!)
                -The last time I used GNOME Shell on Ubuntu, which was in 2015 or early 2016, it wasn't optimized very well. AND I know that many people who've tried Ubuntu GNOME have complained about that, so it's a config issue. (not to mention the fact that other distros, even with GNOME Shell, do run fine on my hardware)

That's basically the main thing holding people back from really using Ubuntu GNOME

Comment

Originally posted by A-Singh View Post

It isn't more popular. Ubuntu dwarves pretty much every other distro in terms of the number of users.
                  Source? I mean: Linux distros don't phone home, so there's no accurate way of measuring the actual number of users of any distro, including Ubuntu.

Comment

The appropriate troll would be to assert that they will be using Gnome Shell after a couple of broken releases. Did you know Ubuntu GNOME has been a thing for a while, and still most typical users prefer Unity?
                    I think GNOME Shell doesn't catch on in Ubuntu is because:

-Die-hard Unity fans don't want to give up Unity (can't say I disagree with 'em, I mean: if you love something, you'll keep using it, no matter what it is)
                    -The GNOME stack is *always* behind on Ubuntu, even in the GNOME edition, which is not the worst thing in the world but it might piss off some users who want to have the full GNOME experience
                    -Also related to the full GNOME experience: Ubuntu GNOME doesn't even use the full GNOME stack by default and some applications aren't even included in the repositories, requiring users to either use the GNOME 3 Team PPA (if that one still exists - been a while since I've used Ubuntu) or manual compiling (and the usually outdated GTK version might not even be recent enough for that!)
                    -The last time I used GNOME Shell on Ubuntu, which was in 2015 or early 2016, it wasn't optimized very well. AND I know that many people who've tried Ubuntu GNOME have complained about that, so it's a config issue. (not to mention the fact that other distros, even with GNOME Shell, do run fine on my hardware)

That's basically the main thing holding people back from really using Ubuntu GNOME

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Source? I mean: Linux distros don't phone home, so there's no accurate way of measuring the actual number of users of any distro, including Ubuntu.
                      Linux/tech forums, non distribution specific, tend to have the largest number of *buntu users, when you see "Linux in the wild" photos from companies and institutions in 95% of cases it is Ubuntu, with Unity too, nearly every software vendor tends to support Ubuntu first, then other distributions, Steam still officially only supports SteamOS and Ubuntu, Ubuntu makes most of the headlines on tech sites, Ubuntu gets preinstalled on a bunch of laptops, where is Mint preinstalled? And these are just a few examples. So Mint still "much more popular" than Ubuntu? With the advent of Ubuntu MATE especially many Mint MATE users went back to Ubuntu, portion of them migrated to Arch Linux and its user friendly derivatives like Manjaro, Mint's popularity was high for a while until they chose to go LTS only, due to obvious lack of manpower to maintain short term releases, and even those LTS based versions are months late with point release updates compared to Ubuntu LTS.

Cinnamon desktop and their so called X applications, are an attempt to establish a brand for themselves and stop being just another Ubuntu clone with some paint slapped on it, that didnt work out too well so far. Their problem is the LTS base many users consider too old to use for 2 years and the lack of any real incentive to use Mint, Cinnamon desktop doesnt bring anything new to the table which we cant already have with other desktops, Unity at least offers a completely different UI paradigm, dash and scopes, it IS different, Cinnamon reinvents the wheel in many of its aspects, also what is the point in using Mint KDE, MATE or XFCE when they differ so little from Kubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu? Most people prefer going for the real thing, and *buntu has newer short term releases available too. When people say "Mint is more popular than Ubuntu" that is merely wishful thinking, not based on any real facts of any kind, pro Ubuntu facts I presented here are at least something it can be backed with some kind of evidence, though numbers are unknown because there is no counter in Linux distributions, I think they should employ those in order to end discussions like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X