Google Developers Working On Gaming Protocol For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post

So, I didn't see where the spec limited either buttons or axes. The canonical standard gamepad (thus far, the only mapping defined and corresponding to the Xbox/ps layouts) has 4 axes and 17 buttons. The spec just shows two types of input types (gamepadbutton and axes) with the former comprising a an array of two booleans with a double value (range be normalized), and the later being an array of just the double value.
    The spec doesn't limit the number, but the canonical standard gamepad doesn't properly represent the semantic meaning behind the Xbox/ps layout because it doesn't offer enough axes to represent the analog sticks while representing the D-Pad as two axes. That's my concern.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

The spec doesn't limit the number, but the canonical standard gamepad doesn't properly represent the semantic meaning behind the Xbox/ps layout because it doesn't offer enough axes to represent the analog sticks while representing the D-Pad as two axes. That's my concern.
      I'm not sure I follow.
      ​​​​​​First, the spec isn't limiting the number of axes/buttons. So, in that sense, it is not a subset of xinput.
      Second, using the axes for the two analog sticks, and representing the dpad with buttons shouldn't be an issue (the button values are a double).
      So, I don't see a loss of functionality in the mapping.
      As for semantics, I don't understand why using axes instead of buttons makes more sense for the dpad.
      However, if a lossless mapping can't be made, other layouts should be submitted, for normative purposes only. Also, recall
      Devices that are not recognized should still be exposed in their raw form.
      from the Remapping section.

Comment

Working...
      X