Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Presents Over GBM vs. EGLStreams, The Big Wayland Support Debate Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    Wrap the nvidia implementation in a GBM interface (or the other way around)
    if it were that simple, you wouldn't need their new implementation, you could wrap their x driver

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
      Wrap the nvidia implementation in a GBM interface (or the other way around). Result, single target API. Everyone is happy?
      Sizeable performance hit on NVIDIA because additional layer, much whine. Much not happy. Please no.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
        All recent data supports his claim actually, granted only the past 2 months I believe. People finally started to wise up that Nvidia was short selling them on performance and especially future performance.
        It's a bit more complex than that, and in general please don't assume people stopped to be dumbfucks as that isn't happening in a million years. We still have NVIDIA brigade here on the forum for example and they are all live and well.

If you see here, AMD sales are slightly better, while NVIDIA's have plummeted. Then if you look at the other graph the marketshare here http://images.anandtech.com/doci/106...HARE_575px.png it may seem AMD is selling much more and NVIDIA is losing ground, which isn't the case.
        The current marketshare change is all because NVIDIA did something that decreased unit shipments drastically (like retiring some products or hinting at very cool new ones), and they did similar things in the past too if you see the graph (while in the marketshare graph this isn't visible).

anandtech quotes this (and I quote them):
        NVIDIA was affected by seasonality in the second quarter, and likely anticipation of its Q2/Q3 product launches. Moreover, the company decided to clear out some of the inventory of older model cards amid the launch of Pascal-based GeForce 1070 and 1080 graphics cards, according to JPR. This greatly affected actual shipments and market share of NVIDIA: unit sales decreased by 14% YoY and by 28% QoQ, whereas market share declined to 70%.

Comment

and... unapproved post for SaucyJack above!

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Eh, people will be moving on in the next 5 years. If Nvidia wants to be stubborn, they will lose Linux marketshare when distros drop Xorg driver support.
            In fact you are right, those talks happening right now will have a significant impact on what card I'll be buying next Xmass. If nothing special happens within 2 weeks, I'll go AMD and won't look back. nVidia, you need to put your shit together.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              It's a bit more complex than that, and in general please don't assume people stopped to be dumbfucks as that isn't happening in a million years. We still have NVIDIA brigade here on the forum for example and they are all live and well.

If you see here, AMD sales are slightly better, while NVIDIA's have plummeted. Then if you look at the other graph the marketshare here http://images.anandtech.com/doci/106...HARE_575px.png it may seem AMD is selling much more and NVIDIA is losing ground, which isn't the case.
              The current marketshare change is all because NVIDIA did something that decreased unit shipments drastically (like retiring some products or hinting at very cool new ones), and they did similar things in the past too if you see the graph (while in the marketshare graph this isn't visible).

anandtech quotes this (and I quote them):
              NVIDIA was affected by seasonality in the second quarter, and likely anticipation of its Q2/Q3 product launches. Moreover, the company decided to clear out some of the inventory of older model cards amid the launch of Pascal-based GeForce 1070 and 1080 graphics cards, according to JPR. This greatly affected actual shipments and market share of NVIDIA: unit sales decreased by 14% YoY and by 28% QoQ, whereas market share declined to 70%.
              That giant graph you wasted space with only covers q2 of 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

That giant graph you wasted space with only covers q2 of 2016.
                Because Q3 isn't over yet?

Comment

Nvidia maintains an eglstreams patched version of Weston. Is it possible to turn Weston into a viable desktop environment and use that?

Comment

The numbers we have so far for Polaris vs. Pascal are a complete disaster for AMD. Horrific. Terrible.

Wayland might as well go with EGLStreams... Nvidia will be the only GPU company left soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Because Q3 isn't over yet?
                      But i said past couple of months didnt I. Thats q3.

Comment

Working...
                      X