No announcement yet.

Fedora 25 To Run Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody knows what will happen with rdp/vnc?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      article mentions gnome 3.22
      btw, does canonical employ gnome devs, or waits for redhat fixing bugs as usual?
      They only contribute to parts of the stack they use which every day is less of the higher level stack like Gnome/Gtk. They still sponsor some Gnome events and do have employees working full time on the lower layers of the stack though.

Comment

I found it really funny that wayland is there by default before mir, and mir still don't have proprietary driver support.

Anyway, grats GNOME and Fedora team! It's really nice to see wayland becoming more available. I also can't wait for plasma 5.8 too, since it will bring much better GTK on wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          You guys fail to realize all this means is that some users will have to make an additional click to select X instead of the default Wayland during install.
          Session will fallback to X/XWayland should the videocard driver fails on Wayland compositor.
          Gnome on Wayland also runs fine on either Gnome Boxes or VirtualBox.

Comment

Finally! What a pity I can't join the party yet.

Comment

Seemingly Nvidia disbelieved in good performance of GBM on their HW so they implemented WL support through EGLStreams. It doesn't seems to Nvidia will implement GBM instead of EGLStreams, so we must wait some time for compositors with both GBM and EGLStreams support.

Comment

Seemingly Nvidia disbelieved in good performance of GBM on their HW so they implemented WL support through EGLStreams. It doesn't seems to Nvidia will implement GBM instead of EGLStreams, so we must wait some time for compositors with both GBM and EGLStreams support.

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post

No because Chrome still uses X11 and whenever they enable Wayland support its a completely different codebase than Webkit at this point anyway. The main WebkitGtk issue AFAIK is copy/paste support.
                  yeah i knew bout the copy/paste issue, but i think it also has issues in gEDIT

Comment

I smell rollback..

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-Ultimate View Post
                      Unless there is support for NVIDIA GPUs, it's not ready.

Let's also ignore the fact that xwayland still has no pointer locking
                      A good opportunity to force nvidia to support it. It's not like they lack the knowledge to do it, they just don't consider it important. That should change once one of the major distros starts shipping with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X