Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment Brings Session Recovery Support To Wayland

Phoronix: Enlightenment Brings Session Recovery Support To Wayland

Enlightenment's Wayland support continues to become more feature complete with the latest feature work being for session recovery support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmmm could this be used to switch the desktop between different GPU-s? Would be interesting future to switch GPU-s without loosing the session.

Comment

Is Weston, GNOME and KDE going to bring this too?

Comment

Sounds useful for remote desktop.
        Say you use a laptop to remote desktop into a workstation, then you can close the connection, then later log on back and everything stays the same.

Comment

Given that I've never had a WM or compositor that could run for weeks on end without some kind of bug, this was my #1 concern about Wayland. Seeing that it's possible is a massive relief.

(Now I just need to see either KWin with this, Enlightenment with server-side window decorations, or solid proof that client-side decorations can be done in an acceptably robust and consistent manner.)

Comment

Just like their X11 WM and compositor, it seems they're going for reparenting. This is excellent. I love that the Enlightenment folks focus on quality and robustness.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
              Hmmm could this be used to switch the desktop between different GPU-s? Would be interesting future to switch GPU-s without loosing the session.
              this is all about the entire compositor process going away - thus the wayland server connection dropping for clients. they get a disconnect. before this, this basically means "goodbye program". the point of this is to handle compositor crashes (if compositor has a crash handler - enlightenment does. it pretty much always has), or can also be used for restarts. if you wish to upgrade on the fly (download a bugfix or upgrade package - install it. no need to log out and in to get the fix/upgrade. just restart compositor). it's really meant to bring sanity to the development process when you wish to try your new fix/feature immediately on your own session. this is frankly 99% of the restart uses for a developer.

gpu switching is a whole different and involved topic. it requires a whole bunch of gotchas. compositor switch gpu? clients switch gpu? can gpu compositor is using handle (access the memory/format type) buffers client is producing if they are on different gpu's? is it a 2-way possibility or only 1-way? this is invariably a hardware design issue product by product. then comes the major un-fun which is different gpu's having different featuresets and clients or compositor having to adapt on the fly. different gl extensions. perhaps one gpu isn't even a 3d (gl) one and is instead a 2d unit that uses far far far less power than a full 3d gpu but it can't handled tiled buffers... ? it's a can of worms and has nothing to do with reconnects as above.

Comment

Finally. I don't know if x11 supports reconnects, but this was a known issue.
                This article talks about it http://www.osnews.com/story/21999/Ed...ista_Windows_7

Comment

Enlightenment .20 by default uses wayland? I never got it run straight 15 minutes without crashing. I am using the packages for fedora, from suse's servers.

Comment

I've used enlightenment on fedora, arch and bodhi. The best expirience was with bodhi linux as it is distro based on ubuntu with enlightenment as default desktop. It was with x11, but i think you should try it.

Comment

Working...
                    X