No announcement yet.

Screensaver Inhibition Support Is Being Worked On For Wayland/Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aside from turning off the screen to save energy and prolong life of the screen - does anybody actually still use real screensavers? They may look fancy but I haven't touched one in ages. Just uses CPU/GPU/electric power and doesn't do anything useful (besides looking nice). So I just use pure powersaving (iirc. modern radeons go into some zero core mode then, too).
    The only machines that actually could use one are the cash automates in my town, they still have CRTs and run 24/7. The greeter image is already burnt in. They could use a screensaver but they don't (oh, and they probably run on Windows 98 or something; but starfield simulation was available even on Windows 3.11).
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
      Will this be adjustable on a per-application basis?
      you could write any compositor

Comment

Does the functionality also allow to set a screensaver delay with application chosen amount of time?
        (Would be handy if watching a movie and suspecting to be falling asleep during watching it.)

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
          Does the functionality also allow to set a screensaver delay with application chosen amount of time?
          (Would be handy if watching a movie and suspecting to be falling asleep during watching it.)
          The client application can control when it releases the inhibition; typically this would be when the surface terminates (i.e. the movie ends), but the client could release it earlier. One use case we discussed is when the video is paused; the client might drop the inhibition at that point so the screensaver works normally, and then re-establish it when unpausing.

I would think though that the case you describe sounds more like you'd want to not turn on inhibition at all, and just let the screensaver work normally.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce Harrington View Post

The client application can control when it releases the inhibition; typically this would be when the surface terminates (i.e. the movie ends), but the client could release it earlier. One use case we discussed is when the video is paused; the client might drop the inhibition at that point so the screensaver works normally, and then re-establish it when unpausing.

I would think though that the case you describe sounds more like you'd want to not turn on inhibition at all, and just let the screensaver work normally.
            No, I just want the inhibition to work in all kinds of scenarios.

Also in your example wouldn't unpausing by say using the mouse also cause the screensaver to stop?

Comment

Working...
            X