The State Of Popular Open-Source Programs On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Please do not make those kind of global statement based on feelings because once, years ago, you tested KDE.
    KDE is stable and in good shape on X11 and only have minor bugs. The Wayland part is work in progress.
    I second that, sort of. I also wanted to add that declaring something "bad" erroneously gives a wrong impression on KDE and the why "it's bad" — if the reason is mentioned at all... My understanding is that KDE makes a thorough use of video drivers features, especially the GL part (from what I remember of Phoronix past articles) hence Wayland needs to be feature-ready-and-solid for KDE to work flawlessly. That also requires a tight cooperation between KDE and Wayland developers. I bet that's what's been happening for a while so wait a little before shooting in the dark...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by VinzC; 25 February 2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VinzC View Post

I second that, sort of. I also wanted to add that declaring something "bad" erroneously gives a wrong impression on KDE and the why "it's bad" — if the reason is mentioned at all... My understanding is that KDE makes a thorough use of video drivers features, especially the GL part (from what I remember of Phoronix past articles) hence Wayland needs to be feature-ready-and-solid for KDE to work flawlessly. That also requires a tight cooperation between KDE and Wayland developers. I bet that's what's been happening for a while so wait a little before shooting in the dark...

Neah, it's just that KDE has started working on Wayland support much later than Gnome did. Because KDE had to sort out the transitions to KDE5, not because they were hostile towards Wayland or anything.
      At the same time (and this is coming from someone who uses KDE almost exclusively), if Windows ever shipped with the kind of bugs found today in KDE/Qt, we'd be crucifying, stoning, hanging and burning it to the stake.

Comment

Originally posted by VinzC View Post

You are right on the point that they always search eye-candy aspect, so yes they are more dependant on GL than Gnome.

But there are other reasons :

- they are still working very actively on KDE5/Qt5
        - they are far to have the budget and number of devs of Gnome
        - KDE has so many (too many?) features and options that even if they started when Gnome started they could not be ready

Anyway at least I find some users of KDE and not only bashers, I regret that all their beta and x.0 versions are too close of alpha.. but they have great expectations and after a few month they give us everytime the most polished desktop so I feel they do not desserve that bashing at all

Comment

FFS if firefox needs patches to be applied by hand then it doesn't work.

Also until nVidia releases drivers (Vulkan or other) many users are excluded from using WL on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            FFS if firefox needs patches to be applied by hand then it doesn't work.

Also until nVidia releases drivers (Vulkan or other) many users are excluded from using WL on a daily basis.
            Are you waiting for something like: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Vulkan-Driver

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Are you waiting for something like: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Vulkan-Driver
              The wayland parts of Vulkan (and whatever is missing in their normal driver) are not released yet AFAIK. So no nVidia drivers are able to run wayland.

Comment

IMHO very satisfying outcomes. I still use xwayland instead for broader utilization of apps.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

The wayland parts of Vulkan (and whatever is missing in their normal driver) are not released yet AFAIK. So no nVidia drivers are able to run wayland.
                  Hm, I have no idea what Wayland-specific parts must be in the driver... Then again, I don't know much about drivers in general.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    At the same time (and this is coming from someone who uses KDE almost exclusively), if Windows ever shipped with the kind of bugs found today in KDE/Qt, we'd be crucifying, stoning, hanging and burning it to the stake.
                    Good joke. It seems you've missed ME, 98, Vista and so on. This one is unbeatable:

1st error: C:\Program Files\Wizet\MapleStorySEA\MapleStory.exe An error occured while trying to read the source file: Access is denied. Click Retry to try ag...

Famous Abort, Retry, Ignore exists in Win7 as well! DOS never died in Windows. It seems they didn't get rid of DOS ideas and probably never will.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Good joke. It seems you've missed ME, 98, Vista and so on. This one is unbeatable:

1st error: C:\Program Files\Wizet\MapleStorySEA\MapleStory.exe An error occured while trying to read the source file: Access is denied. Click Retry to try ag...

Famous Abort, Retry, Ignore exists in Win7 as well! DOS never died in Windows. It seems they didn't get rid of DOS ideas and probably never will.

Actually I have missed all that. Not that I didn't know about them, but my upgrade path was (excluding Win 3.x and older): 95 -> 95 OSR2 -> 2000 -> XP -> 7 -> 10.
                      And no, I have never seen a Windows version where you couldn't predict on which screen a window will open. Or that would pause for ~10 seconds on startup. Or that would make it impossible for you to set the date format you want. Or that has tearing that's almost impossible to get rid of.

Edit: I don't get the Abort, Retry, Ignore reference. They're all perfectly legit courses of action. But yes, guys having errors during installs and then wondering why things don;t work are hard to beat.
                      Last edited by bug77; 26 February 2016, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X