Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    then you will cry when i tell you that ctrl-c is not guaranteed by windows
    And Windows is so broken that it requires you to focus a window before scroll-wheel events to go the widget under the cursor. Your point? </devil's advocate>

(Seriously, though, Windows is a poor example, given how much legacy stuff is in its design. Except for the need to support passing it through to certain apps like terminal emulators for compatibility, I can see it making perfect sense for Ctrl+C to be consumed by the compositor and translated into a "please provide clipboard contents" signal which the application then receives. It'd also enforce, at the whole-desktop level, the "must be triggered by user input" pattern we see being used in the browser to prevent sites from abusing things like popups and clipboard access which extend outside their little sandbox.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 19 January 2016, 02:18 AM.

Comment

then those apps will do this task themselves. your argumentation becomes laughable. majority of kiosks have neither c nor ctrl nor keyboard
      Most kiosks I've seen had keyboards connected to them for emergency tasks.
      My argumentation isn't laughable. It's based on practical experience with software stacks and a career in software engineering.

Letting applications handle what are supposed to be global shortcuts themselves is an incredibly bad design. And one that is going to cease existence with Wayland.

then you will cry when i tell you that ctrl-c is not guaranteed by windows
      It actually is guaranteed. The fact that some code manages to disable CTRL-C/CTRL-V is a bug, not a design flaw.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
        Most kiosks I've seen had keyboards connected to them for emergency tasks.
        so copy/paste will work only during emergency? did i tell you about your arguments becoming laughable?
        My argumentation isn't laughable. It's based on practical experience with software stacks and a career in software engineering.
        well, since it goes contrary to both windows and x, you are not very good at software engineering
        Letting applications handle what are supposed to be global shortcuts themselves is an incredibly bad design. And one that is going to cease existence with Wayland.
        it is NOT supposed to be global shortcut on all devices running wayland, which includes ivi and smartphones.
        It actually is guaranteed.
        same way it is guaranteed under linux - by following conventions

Comment

so copy/paste will work only during emergency? did i tell you about your arguments becoming laughable?
          Circular reasoning much? You were the one who said kiosks never used keyboards to begin with. They do for emergency tasks though and those tasks generally go beyond the frontend.

well, since it goes contrary to both windows and x, you are not very good at software engineering
          'cept it's not contrary to Windows. It's only contrary to Xorg and its lack of policies.

I'm plenty good at software engineering (and that's not just Dunning-Krugerism. I've the formal education, the job and the awards to back it up), which is why I feel the inclination to tell you you're wrong.

In fact, you're so wrong that imagining an operating system that adhered to your "standards" makes me feel queezy.

With that lack of policy, I wouldn't be surprised if that OS ended up being an Amiga OS looalike that switched to an Android style system settings, had a browser that looked like the one found on the Playstation 3, a terminal with the looks of the C64, a file manager that mirrored Apple's Finder and various dozen incompatible control mechanisms and "design studies" for all the different apps.

it is NOT supposed to be global shortcut on all devices running wayland, which includes ivi and smartphones.
          It's not supposed to be the default. That doesn't mean applications won't have to adhere to it if the user sets it as their personal default.

same way it is guaranteed under linux - by following conventions
          Conventions are soft. Policies are hard. When dealing with global shortcuts you'll want to enforce them, not tell people they may or may not implement them.

Comment

Circular reasoning much? You were the one who said kiosks never used keyboards to begin with. They do for emergency tasks though and those tasks generally go beyond the frontend.
            lolwut? you said everyone needs ctr-c and i said kiosks have no ctrl-c. and they don't have during normal use.

'cept it's not contrary to Windows. It's only contrary to Xorg and its lack of policies.
            sure it is. btw there are windowses without keyboards. i've lost patience speaking with drug addict
            Last edited by pal666; 21 January 2016, 05:30 PM.

Comment

lolwut? you said everyone needs ctr-c and i said kiosks have no ctrl-c. and they don't have during normal use.

sure it is. btw there are windowses without keyboards. i've lost patience speaking with drug addict
              And I've long lost the patience to "debate" with an insulting jerk like yourself.

Why do you even discuss matters which you, so obviously, have no clue about? For starters, you'd need to know the difference between mechanism and policy to even understand where I'm coming from. Your idea of a mechanism only system (where you're basically given the option to do whatever the heck you want with those shortcuts and every app implements them by itself) is the maddest thing since the Mad Hatter.

Comment

Working...
              X