Primary Selection Support Still Being Worked On For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yacc143 View Post

It's not the paste behaviour, it's the copy behaviour that they want. And as a Linux user for 2 decades, I do have to admit that Control-C/Control-V does feel alien.
    If you've really been using it that long I'm guessing you prefer to use ctrl-insert to copy and shift insert to paste?

Comment

I'm one of those who use 'select -> middleclick paste' all the time, and think it is awkward to use Ctrl/Cmd+C/V when I forget I have to use that in OSX/Win. I'm happy that the devs work on support for this in Wayland, and to you who "hate" this feature, what do you loose?

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
        I'm one of those who use 'select -> middleclick paste' all the time, and think it is awkward to use Ctrl/Cmd+C/V when I forget I have to use that in OSX/Win. I'm happy that the devs work on support for this in Wayland, and to you who "hate" this feature, what do you loose?
        The thing is, these are not mutually exclusive. I can select+middle click when my hand is already on the mouse or I'm using a terminal and I use Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V when I'm already writing something. I can't imagine Linux being any different. I don't understand why anyone would justify disabling middle click functionality because "there are few middle mouse buttons in the world" - that's just autistic.

Comment

Yes, I didn't mean Ctrl+C/V or primary selection should be excluded, just that I use primary selection 10:1 compared to Ctrl+C/V. I'm surprised anyone is against primary selection, especially if they don't use it. All non-Mac mouses have a middle mouse button, even a Wacom stylus have it, as does laptop trackpads (eg. tripple finger tap).
          Last edited by numasan; 06 January 2016, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
            ... And the last time I've used a mouse with neither a scrollwheel nor a simple middle button was in the 90s ...
            ... All non-Mac mouses have a middle mouse button, ...
            I bought a (non-Mac) CHERRY XS trackball keyboard G84-5400 last year and it has NO middle button.
            Sometimes it helps to look beyond one's own nose.
            Last edited by drSeehas; 06 January 2016, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post

I bought a (non-Mac) CHERRY XS trackball keyboard G84-5400 last year and it has NO middle button.
              Oh, yes, then it's totally justified to drop said functionality.
              I'd also comment on "look beyond one's own nose", but I have a feeling the irony would be lost on you.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                Looking beyond 99.99% of all computer users you mean. It is possible to emulate middle mouse button, even Mac does that. You can too, like pressing left+right mouse buttons emulates a middle click. But whatever, if you have never needed to use a middle mouse click on your setup, this news item doesn't matter to you anyway.

Comment

Looking beyond 99.99% of all computer users ...
                  Even 99.99% wouldn't be "All".

Comment

Yes, I didn't mean Ctrl+C/V or primary selection should be excluded, just that I use primary selection 10:1 compared to Ctrl+C/V. I'm surprised anyone is against primary selection, especially if they don't use it. All non-Mac mouses have a middle mouse button, even a Wacom stylus have it, as does laptop trackpads (eg. tripple finger tap).
                    Primary selection is the first thing I disable on linux. It invariably messes up my workflow by pasting random things in an unintended manner. Browsing with primary selection enabled is torture.

It's also dangerous. Highlighting a password should not automatically place it into the paste buffer where a random misclick can cause real damage.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post

Primary selection is the first thing I disable on linux. It invariably messes up my workflow by pasting random things in an unintended manner. Browsing with primary selection enabled is torture.
                      Choice is a good thing, don't you agree? I use it and you don't, it messes up your workflow and it enhances mine. You call it torture, I call it bliss. Now, if I decided on your behalf how you should work (*cough*mac/win*cough*) that would be a problem.

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      It's also dangerous. Highlighting a password should not automatically place it into the paste buffer where a random misclick can cause real damage.
                      Using a computer is "dangerous" in the wrong hands.

Comment

Working...
                      X