Mir 0.18 Release Brings Prep Work For Vulkan, Libinput By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gufide View Post

Wayland is not tied to any drawing API. The choice is up to the window manager to use OpenGL or Vulkan
    Wait what? I heard wayland is tied to OpenGL ES and EGL, this would mean it can't support Vulkan right now... Or is that old news? Was it just tied to existing driver support for DRM/KMS compatible GL implementations?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Wait what? I heard wayland is tied to OpenGL ES and EGL, this would mean it can't support Vulkan right now... Or is that old news? Was it just tied to existing driver support for DRM/KMS compatible GL implementations?
      Of course it's not supporting Vulkan right now, it's not even out yet. In time EVERYONE WILL BE ABLE to get Vulkan Support thanks to the open source community, no need to rush things. I don't know why people are so hectic about Vulkan support anyways. We all know it's going to take years before people is going to use Vulkan for real (improved the ways of using the API).

Comment

Well if Wayland doesn't give two shits about the rendering API, shouldn't it support Vulkan already, if the drivers would support it?

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

It's funny, but Wayland support would be added to Mir and make Mir a Wayland compositor. It wouldn't make Mir obsolete. Wayland doesn't have dedicated server and relies on the compositor to "speak Wayland".
          Sure, but then I think they ported Unity and got rid of the useless middleware. I'll recheck phoronine's cache and get back to you on that. I didn't clone their repo as I thought bazaar-ng would have trouble with the dates (it still sucks).

Comment

Working...
          X