Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly is wayland missing? (Is wayland complete?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is wayland missing? (Is wayland complete?)

As in the title, what features exactly is wayland missing before it can be called complete, I know there's a mountain of things that weston is missing, but Gnome and KDE seem to be making very good progress towards wayland support, and so does Enlightenment each of them depending on a different GUI library (GTK, Qt and EFL), so sure, for end users wayland is missing complete desktop environments, but it's gotten so close, I'd be surprised if I don't see full wayland support in the 3 I named in 2016.

So, I would have thought that Wayland 1.0 would mark Wayland as feature complete and stable, normally. Is it feature complete and stable, XWayland aside? If not, what features is it missing and what major bugs need to be ironed out before it is? I played around a bit with Weston, and first impressions were good, it was very responsive and had exceptionally nice compositing effects available as well (It was also very buggy, but weston being buggy doesn't actually translate to wayland being buggy), so I want to know what's really preventing it from being deemed "ready".
    Last edited by rabcor; 25 November 2015, 12:09 PM.

I don't think there's going to be a point in time where wayland is suddonly going to be agreed upon as being ready for daily usage, for everyone, by everyone.
    If there's one thing "Wayland" is missing it's support and by that I mean greater support whithin the big DEs, where the wm/compositor and basic apps are concerned, and support within nvidia's proprietary driver.
    Not so much fglrx since mostly everyone on amd, except for gamers stuck on latest boards, is using the foss drivers anyway (bonus points to amd for officially dropping the hd series pre-gcn boards' fglrx support).

The more wayland compositing wms get on par with xorg's wms and the more people start using wayland software the faster it will go. It's already getting to a point where it's useable as a default. I should mention I'm writing this on Wayland! More specifically, I'm using Sway, a tiling wayland wm intended as a replacement for i3 (i3way is a haux, still nothing but a promise). It's based on wlc (whose author is also working on orbment, a similar wayland tiling wm). Sway is even compatible with i3 (without being limited by it), you can literally drop in your i3 or even i3-gaps config and it will work!

I'm using wayland as my main "display server" (it's just a protocol but for simplicity's sake let me call it that...) and while sway itself still needs some ironing here and there (it's under heavy development atm) I don'n feel I'd need to launch an X session for anything (still relying on xwayland for some stuff obviously).

I'm impatiently waiting for nvidia to restructure their drivers and provide wayland support for the wms themselves to work upon so that I can install Sway on my desktop

My advice to every mesa user wishing to help wayland mature would be: give it a shot now! and try switching to it (replacing your X session) as soon as you feel it's almost ready for you. You might have to deprive yourselves of a few secondary features at first but the faster you start using it the faster it will be ready and the faster wayland wms, drivers, toolkits, libraries etc will get the features you need. Start using it as soon as possible and report any issues and bugs you notice, support/contribute in any way you can.

Rephrasing my answer to the question posed above, I believe wayland currently lacks: a) support within big DEs b) nvidia c) early testers

Comment

Define "complete". For me it's complete when I can launch an OpenGL or Vulkan application. Anything else is a bonus. As it stands right now, I can't use it at all, as I am binary Nvidia user.(this wont change any time soon, as I only got my Nvidia 780 TI just recently). So issue of "completeness" is not with Weston, from my personal perspective, but from EGL support from drivers. Nvidia, I know you are working on it, please deliver it faster!

Comment

Working...
      X