No announcement yet.

Wayland Protocols Split Up From Weston, Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, from what I can make out, Wayland-Protocols is a repository of documents specifying various protocols used in the ever-expanding Weston desktop suite that will one day replace X11 and its expanded suite of everything. One of those protocols is the Weston protocol, a standard for communication with a compositing display server, which was previously maintained as a part of Weston, a compositiong display server that most people referred to incorrectly as as 'Wayland'.

It's much like the original X11, which was just a protocol. There have been many X11 servers implementing that protocol over the years, with the latest one being the x.org server and which is also where the X11 protocols are currently being maintained and extended.

And don't worry, to quote the original announcement email, "developers are still urged to implement wayland-protocols protocols in weston."

Comment

Eh... I just looked at the git repository. They didn't decouple the Wayland implementation and protocol, the protocol appears to still be held within the Wayland git repository. However, extensions such as xdg-shell and fullscreen are held in Wayland-Protocols. That announcement might have given a rather poor assessment of what's happened...

Also, Weston is a reference compositor that implements the Wayland protocol. Wayland is also a reference implementation that implements the actual communication between server and client. A client would send-recieve certain events, and a server would send-receive certain events. What sends and receives them is the Wayland implementation using the Wayland protocol. The compositor really just does compositing and communicates with clients (via Wayland). Some things it must implement via a Wayland interface, however, such as input. A client generally doesn't use direct input and instead gets it from the display server, or in this case, the compositor.

I'm not too acquainted with the architecture myself though, correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Reasonable decision. Weston is not a priority aim, only a "testing" compositor before Wayland will be finnished for common use.

Comment

Working...
        X